A double this afternoon

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

A double this afternoon

Post by Melvin Eades »

This afternoon I went out to the place I had shot a coyote a while back and the last three times since I've been there haven't had any luck. Everytime, just before dark, the coyotes would start howling about half a mile farther up the creek bottom. This time I decided I would take the 3/4 mile hike up there and see if I could call one in. I made my way through the timber and then took my time sneaking down the side of a hill and set up about a third of the way up over looking a corn field in the creek bottom to my left and a grassy hillside in front of me with a field road coming down it. I had a draw off to my right that ran up to a big wooded area where I thought the coyotes were staying.

I sat and watched the area until about 30 minutes before sunset and then gave some high pitched howls with a hand call hoping to call in a male. I then watched for awhile (I usually don't carry a watch) and didn't get a response or see anything so I gave a few more howls. I did this a couple more times and then just after the sun set, I got a response to the east of where I had sat the other times. Go figure! I gave a couple more howls and put the call away. In just a minute or so, a coyote came walking down the hill across from me on the field road. He was headed for the open field below me and would be a clear shot but it stopped and looked into the draw to my right. The way it acted, I thought there may be another coyote. It started down the hill toward whatever it had seen so I had to pick a spot through the brush for a shot. Just as it walked into a spot I could shot through, I started giving some lip squeaks. It stopped broadside and looked my way. I shot and dropped it, jacked another shell in and in less than a minute, here comes a coyote up out of the draw and starts heading toward the one I just shot. I put the cross hairs on it and dropped it.

I jacked in another shell and waited in case there were more but it was getting dark fast so I picked up my stuff and went to check them out. I had to drag them out into the field where the snow was so I could get a better picture.

I shot the first coyote at 158 yards and the second one at 126 yards. Both were males and the first one felt like it would weigh close to 40 lbs. I was shooting my CZ 527 American .204 with 39 grain Sierra B.K.'s.

Here was the view from where I was and to where the coyotes were when I shot them.

It was getting pretty dark when I took this picture, but this is the hill I was sitting on.

Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Re: A double this afternoon

Post by Sidewinderwa »

It is great when a plan comes together. :zap: Nice story and pictures.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

All right Melven! I've been skunked my self here lately I will have to pick up the pace Good job on the double. the weather here has cleared and it was hot out to day when I went hunting I was looking for shade.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Those are nice looking coyotes Melvin!! Good job!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Don't get any better than that! Nice set up.
Chris Allen and I went out fri and I went out last night. We made 3 stands with coyotes at each one and I went out twice last night and called one. ONLY one dead. I post pic and story later. 2 of them caught wind way out :(

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Nice shooting melvin .Glad to see you found something other than crows to shoot at :lol: :lol: .
RUD
.204 Ruger Guns: cooper model 21 phoenix

Post by RUD »

Nice story and pics. I don't Coyote hunt but I am thinking about starting to. All you fellas on here are having too much fun and I am feeling left out!!!!!!! Great story Melvin. Keep them coming, Rudy.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Nice double Melvin
Savage Vaporizer
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

RUDY,

It's addictive. It 's a good way to spend the off seasons and another reason to get out of the house.

If you try it and get one, remember, we like pictures!
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.