.22 Hornet fans??

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

.22 Hornet fans??

Post by surfclod »

I was wondering if there are any fans of the old .22 Hornet out there??

Been thinking of this cartridge for some time now as a replacement for the 17 HMR that I gave to my brother in law as a wedding gift. I found that I really missed the intermediate cartridge that fit in between the .22LR and .204Ruger.

I am not real familiar with the round as it never caught on out west. (From what I hear it has a following out east where the .22 LR is a bit small for ground hogs but our gophers didn't need the extra punch so never became that popular). In fact I have never fired one or even know anyone who has one.

From some reading on the internet it seems that brass life may be less than that of more modern rounds but then I have read nearly everything on the net. I would really like to reload for money savings as well as fine tuning for accuracy, (which is my next concern, is it an accurate cartridge?)

Ideally I want a nice light "walk-about" gun for shots out to 100-150 yards max using a bipod.
Something that will not leave my ears ringing when I forget to put in my plugs.
Ammo I can easily fill my pockets with 50-100 rounds and go walking the hills for an hour.

It would be simple to get another low priced 17 HMR (or 22 MAG) but I kinda like the idea of an eclectic cartridge (and being able to reload).

Anyone using this old cartridge??
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: .22 Hornet fans??

Post by Glen »

A couple internet Friends plus several local Friends here are still using the Hornet. The newer brass today is better & you get more firings from it. It's still just a 150yd rifle on groundhogs. But it is a very accurate round making head shots out to that distance a snap. A few years ago I was in the market for something in the same area you are. I opted for the 221FireBall with a 50gr Sierra BK for my 135-250yd shots. Either way you go I think you'll be happy. But the 221 will give you an extra 100yds saving that 204 for the 250yd+ shots. You can probably add 100yds to those numbers for those cute furry little critters you plan on turning inside out!! :lol: :lol: Can't wait to see the new rig & it's 1st carnage pics next spring!! :wink:

JMHO
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Having been a Hornet shooter (of one flavor or another) since the mid-70's, I'd say go for it, but suggest you chamber any Hornet worth keeping to 22 K-Hornet. Brass lasts about forever, does not stretch like a plain Hornet always does, you can then headspace on the nice 40* shoulder, get about 200 fps more, usually more accurate (headspaces properly), and just as quiet and miserly on powder as a plain vanilla Hornet but more fun.

One of my 22 K-Hornets is on a Browning/Winchester 1885 Low Wall, and about the sweetest .22 caliber walkabout rifle you could imagine.

Another one is on a Kimber of Oregon Mdl 82, just as deadly on ground rats (Nosler 45gr Solid Base at 2,950 fps).

If you really want to have fun, rebarrel any Hornet to .17 Ackley Hornet....how about a 20gr V-Max at 3,860 fps? It literally purees ground squirrels, and is effective on this sized target out to just past 350 yards. Mine is built on an old Ruger No.3 action with Pac-Nor barrel, and shoots ten shot groups you can cover with a dime at 100 yds. You can get over 700 shots out of a can of powder too, so it's actually less expensive to shoot than a 17 HMR, but with twice the range.

Here's the .17 Ackley Hornet:

This is the rat slayer than launches it, and is about the most effective "minimalist" rifle I shoot:

You can have alot of fun with a Hornet, but will gain much more if you "improve" the case in either .17, .20, or .22 caliber. The performance out of such a dinky case will amaze you, I promise. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

I had one and LOVED IT!

Had issues with the platform (Savage Model 40) and ended up having it replaced with a 12FV in .223

Will eventually get myself another Hornet in the future but will not be a Savage! :) (although I am a Savage NUT! :wtg:)
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

It's a pretty interesting cartridge, especially in some of its improved and wildcatted versions. It seems to fill a somewhat forgotten niche between the 22 WMR and 17 HMR on the lower end, and the Fireball, .222, and .223 on the upper end.

I am eagerly waiting for someone to wildcat the proprietary 5.7 X 28mm cartridge by FN, and neck it down to .17 or .20 caliber. Perhaps this has already been done. Further, I am not aware that anyone is putting this cartridge in a varmint type rifle.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
wtdew
.204 Ruger Guns: Hawkeye Left hand .201

Post by wtdew »

I've been shooting the .22 Hornet for a number of years along with the .218 Bee. I have a Model 82 Kimber in each of the rifles. The Hornet is a great little cartridge and if you can find a Hornet that will keep its shots in an inch at a 100 yards you will enjoy the gun and round. My Hornet never would shoot as good as it should until Lil'Gun powder came out. Then bingo, it shoots great. I use 40 grain V-Max and also the Nosler and have a lot of fun. It is my "go to" rifle in the summer on the rivers and places where I won't shoot much over 150 to 200 yards. The Bee is the single shot that Kimber made in a limited number. It shoots just as well as the Hornet but it too took a while to find the right load. It works best with a 40 grain Sierra Hornet over 14.5 grains of H-4198. I am now 67 and wear out a little faster on the hills than when I was younger but the Hornet and Bee are great rounds for woods carry. Sure do beat a 8 or 9 pound rifle.