Summertime coyote 09'

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Summertime coyote 09'

Post by Melvin Eades »

We have been having some odd weather around here this year with a wet Spring and some cool spells. I've had a hankering to get out and try some calling and when I heard it was going to be 60 degrees Sat. morning, I decided to give it a try.

I went to a creek bottom that had a big bean field and the beans weren't so high that I could see a coyote coming. I crossed the creek and sneaked up the far bank to take a peek out in the field before I exposed myself just in case there might be a coyote or deer out in the field.

Nothing out, so I set the FoxPro out about 50 yards and sat down by a tree next to the creek with the sun to my back and a slight breese coming in from my front right.

Here is the tree I was sitting against with a few weeds in front for some concealment.

My view of the field. FoxPro was to the right of the gun barrel.

I started off with the rabbit distress for a minute and then waited for about five and did this four or five times. No takers so I did some pup distress twice and waited, still nothing. I sat for a while longer and turned on the male challenge for two cycles and then went silent. About two minutes later I saw a coyote come in from my left. It had the sound pin pointed and was cautiously working it's way closer. Not sure which sound started it coming, but it covered about 350 yards of open bean field.

I gave a couple lip squeaks and the coyote stopped quartering into me and looked my way.
I shot him at about 50 yards and he went down, flopped a few times and got up and ran. I watched him disappear into a low spot in the field but didn't run out. I waited a little while and then went out to where the coyote was when I shot and found some blood. I started tracking the blood and it got heavier.

The coyote made it about 80 yards before it ran out of gas. It was an adult male. I was shooting my CZ 527 American with the Sierra 39 gr. B.K.

Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Keith in Ga

Re: Summertime coyote 09'

Post by Keith in Ga »

Good going! What time of the morning did you call him in? With the cooler days we've had, I've had "intentions" of getting the Foxpro out, but "intentions" haven't been productive.
I've got to get out and check some of my hunting spots and see if any hay has been cut, or the condition of the fields. Great photos and write up.
ImageImage
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

:lol: Melvin way to go!! Was the yote on the large side? From some of your past post Melvin your yotes never made it 80 yards when hit with a 39 sierra. Glade you got him and great write up and pics! Thanks
Later
Ray P.
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Melvin: Once again I felt like I was there with you...good story and pics. I'm also surprised that dog went 80 yards after getting smacked with a 39SBK. That must have been one tough old boy to go that far with such a severe mortal wound. Nice and lush there too right now....sure is a nice change from the hot, dry high desert environment here in the summer. 60*F sounds good right now compared to our 96*F! How long does it take to drive there?........ ;)

Thanks for sharing.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Melvin Eades

Post by Melvin Eades »

Keith in Ga,
It was right at sun up.

Ray P,
Normally they just drop on the spot, but this time it was my screw up. I should have waited till he was broadside before I shot, instead I took the shot when he was a little more than quartering into me. The bullet took out two ribs before it got to the vitals and it only took out one lung. I have full confidence if I would have waited for a broadside shot I could have put him to sleep on the spot.

I didn't weigh this one, but he was in the 30-32 lb. range. He looks smaller with his short summer hair.

Rick in Oregon,
We've had some mid 90* weather here with high humidity and it's supposed to come back this weekend. Yesterday I had 57* for a low. We have had two days that broke the record for a low, high.
After seeing your pictures I've had the same thought, how far is it to Oregon?

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Good job on the coyote Melvin!!! Thanks for the great story and photos. Like RIO said, it felt like I was right there with you and it was EXCITING!!!!
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

Great writeup Melvin!

That country looks pretty much exactly like it does around here. Do you also have the billions of mosquitoes living in the thick green brush like that? Your story is exactly how it's supposed to work! Sunday I found myself at Cabelas and picked up some lightweight camo: long sleeve t-shirt, gloves, and see-through mask. I realized all the camo I have is for cold weather, and never tried calling coyotes in the summer, but I'm going to try soon. Hopefully I have good luck, and can document it as well as some of you guys here.

Thanks!
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Melvin......Thanks for the reply.....
2 ribs and a lung. Not bad for a 39 sierra!
Never wait.......they might bolt if something isn't right.
Thanks again
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Very nice write up Melvin!! You & SilverFox take us along with every one you guys post!! :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Thanks for sharing Melvin. As others have mentioned, I felt like I was tagging along side with ya'.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

WAAAAYYYYYYTTTOOOOGGGGOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Nothing like getting a quick fix :D Awesome stuff!

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Melvin, nice story and pics! By the way it's a three day drive to Oregon from where you are! :lol: Gary
Melvin Eades

Post by Melvin Eades »

BabaOriley,

The mosquitoes aren't real bad, but I wear a bug suit, spray my hands with "Off" and wear a head net like this one. It also works for fishing or any other time you want to keep the bugs away. I've even worn mine while mowing to keep the black fly's off.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

Just a warning, if you use the head net wearing a baseball style cap, the netting will rest on the top of your ears and the mosquitoes will get you. I wear a boonie hat and it keeps the netting away from your ears.

Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

I have never called with a bug net like that. Does it affect the view through scope at all?

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Excellent story...