Does anybody use the nosler 55 gr BT ?

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

Does anybody use the nosler 55 gr BT ?

Post by cshooter »

I have been helping a buddy work on his new AR-15 in 223 project rifle and he asked me what kind of bullet to use for coyotes. I told him probably a good poly tip like the Nosler 55 gr BT or V-max. But I guess some guys don't like those because they won't penetrate through heavy shoulder bones, I don't know. I guess Byron South uses a 55 - 60 gr soft nose for that reason ? I've used 39gr Seirra BK's in my 204 for coyote with good kills in the past, but I've never hit any heavy bones, all neck and rib cage shots. Anybody have any suggestions for a good coyote smasher bullet in a 223 ? Thanks
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Does anybody use the nosler 55 gr BT ?

Post by acloco »

The Nosler BT, Hornady VMax, & Sierra BK's might end up with a bullet splash on bone and only wounding the yote.

If saving pelts, probably want to use a bullet that enters and expends all of the energy inside without an exit wound as well.

Maybe a TSX from Barnes?

Others will chime in here....I mostly shoot prairie dogs....and carnage is good. :)
ACLakey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage .204 Predator Hunter(soon)

Re: Does anybody use the nosler 55 gr BT ?

Post by ACLakey »

The 55gr BT is a tougher bullet than say the 55gr V-Max or Blitzking. At .223 velocities it is an extremely good coyote bullet and of the choices listed the 55gr BT would be my pick. Another great 55gr bullet for coyotes is the Sierra Gameking 55gr SBT #1365. It has a tougher construction being a Gameking type bullet. I have shot over 300 coyotes with a 22-250 and 223 using this bullet and just about every time I get a quarter sized exit and a very dead coyote. At the .223 velocities you could not go wrong with either bullet.