Another .243 AI rockchuck

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Another .243 AI rockchuck

Post by Verminator2 »

My dad and I went out and shot some Memorial day rockchucks today. We stopped at our first spot with a close rim at 180 yards, a far rim at 400 yards across a resivour, and then some other rims around us 600-800 yards away. I missed one at 400 yards with my first, clean cold bore shot, then missed another one at 180. I was hoping that wasn't a start to a bad day, but I launched the next one off of the rock 4 feet in the air with my .243 AI. My dad shot a couple, and then I put a bullet in another one's neck at 180. My dad took one's head off at that range and then he hit another one at 400 yards. It was my turn now and I wanted to get in a long range shot with my 243 AI, which my dad affectionatly calls the "Blunderbus". We sat and looked at a rim that we saw chucks on earlier. And we looked, and we looked. Finally one pops out, but he sits right at the skyline for 5 minutes then goes down. We sit there for another 10 minutes and finally he pops up below the skyline at 786 yards. My first shot was a little bit low, I adjusted and made a solid mid-body shot with the Blunderbus. That made my week. We switched spots and got a 2 more headshots at 170 yards, 1 for me, one for dad. The way I keep breaking my records (now the 3rd time this year) it's going to start getting pretty tough :lol:
Here's the pictures.

Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Another .243 AI rockchuck

Post by acloco »

Nice looking stick. Specs on it?

What bullet are you using?

NICE shot by the way!!!!!
Verminator2

Post by Verminator2 »

Alcoco: It is a Rem. 700 pillar bedded into a McM A-5 stock, OD green, with a Douglas .243 AI barrel screwed on. I have a Leupold VX-II 6-18 Target sitting on top. It is shooting an 87 Vmax at about 3340 fps. I have another load I'm going to try tomorrow that shows a lot of promise, but we will see if the ES stays down on it. It has another 1.5 grains of powder so that should get me into the 3500s or so, that should cause some destruction :lol: Not like these don't now.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

Nice shooting Verm. Looks like you picked a small one to shoot at 786 to boot. Impressive!
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Verm: You're gettin' purty good at this long range chuck wackin' thingie! Nice, keep up the good work. A mule deer out there at 500 yards will be like shooting at your dads pickup after all the chuck shootin' you've got under your belt now. ;)

Remember, the better you get at this, is the proportionate amount of excuses you no longer have for missing a deer....... :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Verminator2

Post by Verminator2 »

Thanks. A mule deer is huge! :lol: That's a good point, I may have to turn it down it a little :D

Bullfrog, I didn't know if it was big or small, they all look like ants at that range :lol: When we first started, 250 was a looong ways and we didn't even bother to look at 800, even with a spotting scope or something. A little hard to believe that I am already taking shots at 700+ yards now, would have said someone was crazy for shooting that far.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I am only sorry I didn't get a chance to shake the hand of the kid who made that shot. Nice meeting you Verminator. Good Job.
Verminator2

Post by Verminator2 »

Yeah it was fun meeting you too, nice to put a face with the name. Thanks.