AR-15 twist rates

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

AR-15 twist rates

Post by cshooter »

Me and buddy recently picked up a couple AR style rifles for varmint/predator hunting and was curious about what bullet weights would fly the best for the rifleing twist we have. My buddy got LUCKY and found a R-15 in 223 with a 24" varmint barrel and I found a S&W mp15pc in 223 nato with a 20" target barrel stainless. I have heard about his rilfle, but know very little about my S&W, but it seems like a fine rifle. His rifle is a 1 in 9 and mine is a 1 in 8 I believe. We are both new to this kind of rifle and was wondering what would be some good predator bullets to reload for each ? MAybe some good loads that will function well in automatic actions. I hear they need to be kept clean and TAC is a good clean burning powder that works good in AR's ? Thanks
Hawkeye Joe

Re: AR-15 twist rates

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I've used Varget,Benchmark, and H335 in AR style gas guns without any issues at all. On the firing line, use whatever powder your rifle likes. Now if your on the front line, things might be different. Only testing with your style of shooting will give you true results. My favorite gas gun .223 loads are Varget with the 69gr Sierra HPBT, and Benchmark or H335 with the 55gr Berger Match bullets. H335 is a bit of a flame thrower out of my 20 inch barreled Les Baer (1-9 twist),but accuracy is superb!! Now in that 8 twist, I would try the 75gr Berger's for them LOOOONG shots.Not sure about the splat factor you'll get on PD's though. You should be good with bullet weights ranging from 55gr to 75gr in both rifles. Some of the thin jacket varmint bullets might come apart if you push them to fast, especially in that 8 twist... I always liked those S&W's. Looked at one several times a few years back and didn't buy. Now it's gone :wall: .
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Your 8 twist should be good for bullet weights upto 80 grains. As mentioned, I don't know about the "splat factor" with match grade bullets.

The 9 twist is a different story. They should be good upto 69 grains. Beyond that, (75 Hornady BTHP and AMX) some like them, some don't. In my Bushmaster AR the 75 AMAX and 77SMK would only do about .75 MOA @ 100 yards. The 80's, how about a 6" group @ 100 yards. Just a waste of ammo.

In my pre-ban OA, they shot everything up to 75 AMX. Never tried 75 AMAX or 80 SMK before rebarreling.

HTH
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

Post by cshooter »

Thanks fellas, that gives me a pretty good idea. thanks again