First coyote with .204

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Rich V
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ Varmint

First coyote with .204

Post by Rich V »

The temperature had climbed to 9 degrees with a very calm South wind. That was a welcomed change from the -30's of the previous weeks we had here in Northern Illinois. I had one farm that I could hunt with a South wind. I figured I'd give it a try. The snow was knee deep, so I knew I would have to use the Jeep to get most of the way in. Sneaking in that last one hundred and fifty yards was a real chore. I place my Foxpro out in front of me seventy five yards. Settlled in on a fence line, making sure the powder was down on my scope. I waited and was thinking how peacefull it was to be out here and just enjoyed Gods gift. It was almost sunset so I started calling using a female invitational howl. I waited fifteen minutes then let out again. This time I got an answer. I waited another ten and started back very softly with what I like to call the dessert rabbit. After twenty minutes of calling she popped up, facing me but looking away at the caller. My rifle resting on bipods was already in place against my shoulder. I fumbled with the safety as I had done once before, costing me a nice coyote at thirty yards. Pushing the safe forward like on my Remingtons, not pulling it back on the CZ. This time I was able to recover from my blunder because the coyote was at one hundred eighty yards, getting the safe off. I heard the bullet smack. A sound once heard, never forgotten. I was supprised to see the hit and even to see fur fly through the Zeiss scope. She started spinning around doing that coyote dance, so I put another one into her. That put her down. I continualed to call but had no second taker. At three dallors top money for a trapped coyote I usally just leave them where the lay. My cousin wanted one to make a hat so I had to drag it out. What he got may not be worth it. That 32gr BK did a lot of damage.

Flip side. Bullet hit higher then I wanted, hole the size of an egg, bullet track down to second hole the size of a baseball, ribs blew out. Dowl shows second bullet hole two thirds through body.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: First coyote with .204

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Rich: Congrats on that first 204 dog! You're most likely hooked now. If you do ever intend to save the pelts, try using the 35gr Berger, as it's much more fur friendly.

Do you always carry a "forensic dowel" to show bullet path though? :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

KIM204
.204 Ruger Guns: kimber pro varmint 204 ruger

Post by KIM204 »

Good looking dog. Thats all I use is 32 gr BK. I haven't had one make that big of a hole. What is your FPS. on your loads ?
Rich V
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ Varmint

Post by Rich V »

Rick: The picture was taken in my drive and the Foresnic Dowel,(thats good,I like that) is a raw arrow shaft.

Kim204: 3750 fps on that 32gr. Which I'am told is a little slow.
I plan to switch over to the 39 grainers. I have 500 on order if they ever get here. I don't care about pelt damage. Coyotes aren't worth spit around here, but I sure was supprised when I flipped her over. Is that the typical damage for the 32gr.?
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

nice shooting richv! That dog really took a beating .
KIM204
.204 Ruger Guns: kimber pro varmint 204 ruger

Post by KIM204 »

Rich. That is why they are going all the way. I'm at 4118 fps and they go in and blow up inside. :D
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

Yeah the 32 grain varmint bullets are not always fur friendly, if you have a good shot and there in no exit wound its great but any exit wound will be massive. I have only shot one coyote to date and the bullet (Factory loaded 32 grain VMax) hit the spine just behind the shoulder. I had called him in an he came in behind a slight rise that hid him from my view, when I did see him it was 12-15 yards and all I could see was fur in the scope so I took the shot. I knew the fur was ruined when there was still hair floating in the air as I walked to him, it was an oval shaped wound about 4"x6" and about 3" deep. I skinned it out just for practice as it was the first yote I have done. It was an instant kill at that range but I have heard of horrible wounds using varmint bullets on coyotes, a friend uses them in a 6mm and has had some horrible non fatal wounds that are never what a hunter likes to see.

If I was to hunt coyotes for fur and on a regular basis I would choose a Berger bullet, 35's (40's if they would stabilize) but I like highly frangible bullets cause they make skippy perform at his best.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I use the 32gr Vmax and if the bullet placement is good no problem. It looks like you had one cut right down the side. I have had some good results with the 32 gr bullets. when I get a good shot in. Good work on your coyote though I hope you get many more. Happy hunting.