45 grain soft points for yotes!

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
ultralightshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger m77 markII ultralight

45 grain soft points for yotes!

Post by ultralightshooter »

Hey, do any of you use 45 grain soft points for yotes and bobcats? It seems like they would be the best bullet that is made for yotes and bobcats? I have also heard they are accurate too? I have been wanting to try them! Any info helps thanks! :D
RedTwo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Re: 45 grain soft points for yotes!

Post by RedTwo »

i have the same question, they seem perfect for yotes because they have have controlled expansion for deeper penetration. i know its possible to kill a yote with a 32 gr allowing for good shot placement, but why not grab every advantage you can get, right?
204saskman
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 Barksa 6x24x50 Weaver mounts Harris bipod

Post by 204saskman »

i have taken 7 yotes with mine shootin the 45gr SP`s. But they fly right through them fairly easy. Dont do alot of damage but they will still run.
Rem 700 VLS 204 Ruger
Jager 6x24x50 IR AO german made scope
Harris 3 stage bi-pod
Weaver rings
sniper model 12
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 single shot synthetic stock bull barrel

Post by sniper model 12 »

I like 'em cause I know that they will crush bone. In some cases, I've had a head shot that would've put the lighter rounds out of the ring. That 45 gr busted right through the skull, or shoulder.
"Adopt the pace of Nature: Her secret is patience."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
walleyeman
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Post by walleyeman »

sniper model 12 wrote:I like 'em cause I know that they will crush bone. In some cases, I've had a head shot that would've put the lighter rounds out of the ring. That 45 gr busted right through the skull, or shoulder.
I agree with Sniper, the 45's allow for all types of shots at all different stances with much more of the desired effect, that is a dead coyote with not much fur damage.

I have a thread on here that shows the two coyotes that I shot over the Christmas holiday. The first was a "head shot" that grazes the check and entered the shoulder/neck area. It put that coyote down hard. I did give it a second round from the same 283 yards just to put the final touches on it. This shot entered just behind the right ear and exited the neck on the opposite side. There was no sign that this coyote was shot at all never mind 2 times! Not until I skinned it out did you even notice the damage. Not one stitch was used when putting the fur up.

The second coyote was a running quartering away shot that entered just ahead of the left hip and lodged into the front right shoulder area. This coyote went down right away, then did get up on all fours but had his head down with his nose almost touching the ground. It was only a few seconds before he went down for good. This coyote, although mangy, showed no sign of bullet damage. No blood on the fur and definately no hole to speak of.

In my mind, if you are looking for a factory round that is easy on fur go with the 45gr SP from Hornady. They give you a bigger window of opportunity so that you don't always have to wait on the perfect broadside shot especially when there is no chance that it will happen.