Some coyotes

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Some coyotes

Post by bullfrog »

I hadn't been seeing any coyotes around my neck of the woods this year. I wacked a couple out in the desert, but hadn't had any luck close to home. Only a couple of sets of fresh tracks in places where there are usually many. Anyway, some snow moved in for a while and made it tough to get around but it's gone now with the warm weather we have been having over here. So last friday I ventured out. Tried one of my favorite spots that usually produces at least one per year. I had tried it a couple of times in nov. with no luck, and I didn't see any sign on the hike into the stand, so I was a little less than optimistic. However, after a few loud calls, I saw a yote somehow pop up right in front of me at about 40 yards. I went ahead and swung the rifle over not wanting her to wind me and disappear into the trees, but as I did she of course started running and I missed. I got into a better position and howled at her. She stopped right at 200 yards. I was lucky she ran out into the open, instead of back into the forest. I was a little less than stable, but shot aiming right behind her shoulder. Missed her shoulder, but nailed her in the head between her eye and the corner of her mouth (factory fed. with 39 blitz). You can't see the entry in the picture and there was no exit. Her head was complete mush. I threw her over my shoulder thinking she wouldn't bleed all that much only to find my backside was completely soaked with blood, bone fragments and brain that was coming out of every orifice in her head. Wife was not impressed. I got to do some laundry for a change.

Then, monday morning, as I was getting some firewood I noticed a deer laying near the fence. Nothing new as about a dozen of them frequent my backyard on a daily basis. But upon further investigation I saw this young mule deer buck (fawn) was dead. And had been for a couple of days. None of the authorities wanted to do anything with it, so they gave me permission to throw it in the woods. I threw it and the yote carcass in the national forest and set up my trailcam. Upon leaving the site with my 2 year old, I saw 2 yotes running off, and then a third about a mile away in someones field. That got me pumped so that night my brother in law and I went to the same area put up the perfect coyote stand. Only thing that came in however was an owl.
So we decided to find another stand to waste the last of the day light in but kept running into hikers and such, so we finally settled for a quick stand that had the wind at our backs and limited visability...but better than nothing. About 15 minutes into the stand this young female came in. I shot it at about 90 yards as it stood on a rock for a better view. We called for a few more minutes, then went and retrieved the dog. The whole that you see is the entry, not the exit. This one was a 40 grain vmax. The dog died upon impact, but the vmax really made a mess. It must have splashed a bit then penetrated enough to kill. Think I will use up the rest of the bk's before I use anymore vmax on yotes. I have some 40 grain noslers bt's to load up as soon as I have some time and a few more supplies. Hoping those will be good yote bullets.

Hopefully I'll figure out where those other dogs are hiding!
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Some coyotes

Post by Rick in Oregon »

bullfrog: Way to go buddy! Glad to see you were able to get some action. I'm betting that dead buck carcass will generate some more yotes too. Soon as I can get out, I'm anxious to try some 35gr Bergers w/Benchmark in my new Kimber on the dogs.

My wife makes me strip in the garage after coyote hunting prior to coming in the house..."those things really stink!" Of course we already know that..... :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

I kinda have the same problem here this year, back in the summer you could hear them every night. This winter its like they moved to Florida, nothing.....oh well we have a hunt planned for next week again.....who knows maybe we will get lucky...nice shooting....
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

Nice Bullfrog. I've heard good things about the noslers.

Rick, if you ever want to bring that Kimber out here and kill some dogs I'm sure dad and I could make time. Of course you would be obligated to let me shoot that kimber ;) :lol:
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

frogger, you owe it to yourself to switch to nozzlers......Good hunt, nice pics
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

nice shooting and the noslers are good bullets.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Verm2: (with apologies to bullfrog), no worries buddy, 'Lil Kim will be coming out your way in a couple of months, as I had planned to give you a call to see if you and your dad wanted to go out together for some dogs while we were over that way for fun with Skippy. My rancher friends there really want the badgers thinned out too. I love those kind of chores....

She ought to look good next to your dad's Cooper! ;)

bullfrog: I hope you've laid in some Nosler 40's, as I was over there yesterday visiting wifey, and picked up the last four boxes of 32's & 40's they had in the warehouse! Think they'll make any more? :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails