Didn't even get a chance to call

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
DarkNight
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP, Custom White Oaks AR-15 .204 Ruger

Didn't even get a chance to call

Post by DarkNight »

This hunt took place a few weeks ago now but I thought I’d post it for the fun of it. I decided to do a quick hunt in a timber located about ½ mile behind a farmer’s buildings. I drove to the gate opening and began walking out across a snow-covered soybean field. Between where I parked and the timber was an irrigation ditch that ran to the north and south. As I walked across the bean field, the farmer’s dog decided to come out and see what I was up to. The dog never came up to me but rather, it worked ahead of me toward the irrigation ditch. When the dog got to the ditch, which is about 150 yds from the timber, a coyote came charging out from the edge of the timber. The coyote looked like it was coming out to kick that dog’s butt! I immediately dropped to the prone position, got the coyote in my scope and squeezed off a round, dropping the coyote where it stood. I think the coyote was so focused on the farm dog that it never even saw me! The farmer's dog took off back for the barn-yard at full-tilt after the first shot! Unfortunately, I hit the coyote high in the back and it took another round to dispatch it but it was all over in about 5 seconds!
This picture is taken from where I shot. The coyote is to the right of the pine trees at the far edge of the corn stubble.
Here she is zoomed in from where I shot.
This picture was taken from where the coyote lay, back toward where my truck was parked. Not a long walk.
This is the "dead hole" the farmer uses for his feeder calves. Guess where the coyote popped out of....
The coyote was digging at the dead calf buried in the bottom of this hole.
-Relentless pursuit-
WYLDRUCKUS
.204 Ruger Guns: REMINGTON VTR

Re: Didn't even get a chance to call

Post by WYLDRUCKUS »

THAT'S THE WAY TO LAY THE SMACK DOWN :camper: CONGRATS
HUNT HARD. SHOOT STRAIGHT. KILL CLEAN, AND APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE!
rpknaz
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger KM77VT MKII with Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40

Post by rpknaz »

Nice job, :wtg: I have been out 3 times in the 3 months for the whole day and have not even seen a yote. :( Maybe next time. :D
Peace and love will get you killed. Unarmed helplessness is a welcome mat for evil. Self-defense is the most powerful, driving instinct in good people everywhere. To deny it is evil personified. Ted Nugent.
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

Nice shooting.......
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

nice shot and the weather looks mighty cold.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Nice short hunt and back to the house to warm up :D
Congrats, bet it was a tad bit exciting.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

DarkNight--Excellent report and GREAT photos. Now, please tell us about your rifle, scope, loads you are using, etc. A picture of your rifle would be a welcome addition too!!!
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
DarkNight

Post by DarkNight »

Thanks for the comments guys. So this is a picture of the rifle that I use on coyotes. Actually, this picture was taken down in your neck of the woods, Song Dog. I shot him a couple of years ago around the Dixon Springs, Illinois area.

The rifle is a Savage 12 vlp in, naturally, .204 Ruger. It is stock and came from the factory with a 1.25 pound trigger pull. I definately keep my finger away from that trigger until just before the shot.

I put a Bushnell Elite 4200 scope on it. It is a 4 x 16 x 40 scope with the matte finish and the multi-x recticle.

Right now I am shooting factory 34 grain Winchester Super-X hollowpoints. I am a fourth-year veterinary student so I don't have much time to range-test loads, however I do have some loads made up using the Sierra Blitzking 39 grainers with Remington 71/2 primers and H-4895 powder. If I ever get time between rotations and trying to find a job for 2 vets, I will stretch out a string to 100 and 200 yds and see what the loads do on paper!

You guys take care and stay warm out there in N. Dacolder, Silverfox. I hear you are reaching record low temperatures out there!
-Relentless pursuit-
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Maybe its been a long day but I don't know where Dixon Springs is. From what I understand, there is another Palmyra in Illinois (up north).
I noticed your signature at the bottom, do you know Tim Wells that produced Relentless Pursuit?
Awesome pic, nice and dark.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
DarkNight

Post by DarkNight »

Sorry if I got my wires crossed, Song Dog. Dixon Springs is at the southern tip of Illinois near the Shawnee National Forest. For some reason, I thought you hunted down that way.

I don't know this Tim Wells. A buddy of mine that I have hunted with for years used the term and I took a liking to it. Well, stay warm out there. It's an eyeball freezer today!