Coyote Help

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Wiiings12
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Stainless

Coyote Help

Post by Wiiings12 »

Hello everyone, I am fairly new to the whole hunting / shooing scene and was wondering if someone could throw out a coyote hunting routine of some sort. I have never tried hunting coyote but I have seen a few of them roaming around and that .204 I bought for groundhogs is getting antsy. I have basically no clue as to where I should start. Calls? Blinds? Scent?
Thanks for all the help
-Graham
Assault is a behavior, not a device.
Frank

Re: Coyote Help

Post by Frank »

Well Graham, having a mentor would obviously be the best but most folks do not get that luxury. Soooo, the next best things are:

Go to "ALLPREDATORCALLS.COM" on the net & give ole A.P. Jones a call and order a couple of Randy Anderson's dvds or video's. They are all good; "Calling All Coyotes" is a classic, with the 4 hr version being my favorite. Another is "Master the Art" / speak the language. I cannot recomend these enough.

While you have A.P. on the phone order a couple of "closed" reed calls. They are much easier than the open reeds to learn on. Sceery (AP-2 is one), Dan Thompson (Weems replica) another faviorite, Circe, Arizon & some others are good. A.P. will be a Big help on what to get. A "lit'l dog" howler is a good/easy to use starter howler.

Blinds are seldom used by most predator callers, at least out west anyhow. But they of course would work.

Sents IMHO are not necessary. Coyotes smell through almost anything, however some folks do like them & is all that is necessary (that they like using them).

Many folks only stay on one stand for up to 15 minutes. I am not one of them, prefering to stay up to 30-35 minutes. Most coyotes do respond within the first 5-10 minutes, however a good many are had late also. Some folks spend several hours on one stand with good results.

Once you take a shot at a predator & whether you hit them or not, stay put. Wait a minute or two and start calling again. It is possible to call in several, one after the other doing this. Even calling the same ones back that you just missed. In fact, call immediately if one is running away. Puppy yipes are good for stoppin or bringing them back after shot at.

Wear camo, a hat-broad brim prefered and ESPECIALLY "face netting" which can also be had from A.P. above.

Sit with the sun at your back without being skylined; a few feet below the top of a ridge for example.

Callilng sequence with a closed reed distress rabbit call that you just purchased can go like this; Two or 3 loud blasts, followed by frantic squealing for approx 30-45 seconds; stop & rest for a minute and call again, but without the initiall 2 or 3 loud blasts. Keep this up for 8-10 minutes. Take a short break and start over.

That is only one very basic example. Howls, puppy yipes, mouse squealers, bird sounds etc should also be thrown in later on down the road. There is no right or wrong way of doing this; just different methods and styles that an individual enjoys doing. Day vs Night hunting is another.

Well, this "book" should get you started. Searching the archives of this website and reading other predator hunting forums should be a big help.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting
Frank
THE BEST VACATIONS ARE WHEN SOMETHING DIES... FISHING ETC
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Hi Wiings. I like the RA videos too. But then I found a true Eastern coyote video. This video is made in terrain just like we hunt here in Ohio. The only difference is that it was filmed in Alabama. I got this video & have had the opportunity to talk to Richard,, the guy that put it out,, & from our conversations our terrain is very very similar. I highly recommend this video as well. And this website. :mrgreen:

http://www.easterncoyotes.com/index.php ... &Itemid=59

HTH
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Wiiings12

Post by Wiiings12 »

Sounds pretty good, I have a little rabbit squealer that should get the job done. I have the whole face-mask thing all ready to go from goose hunting the past few years with my dad. (he's currently doing some time so I have adopted you all as my new hunting guru..) You said to throw in some bird calls, like crow? I am thinking I'll try and dump some of the bait I use for trapping out, which is just chopped up fish and hint of molasses. smells terrible so I figure it might get some attention. or maybe a dead muskrat or something that I already took the fur off of. What do you suggest?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Wiiings: Frank's advice above is spot-on, and should get you started. Along with a couple of video's, trial and error will be the best teacher.

As for bait, a coyote will eat almost anything, just make sure to keep the wind in mind, as they will almost always try to circle the food source, weather it be scent or movement. I use a Foxpro caller, but also tie an owl feather to a bush with a piece of monofilment fishing line at the caller. It moves gently in the air currents, and really gets the coyotes attention.

Sorry to hear your dad won't be home for the holidays. You've got family here though. :D Merry Christmas, bud.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

RA's vids are good but I really like the way Byron South has his.
www.comingtothecall.com

If you would like Byrons #1 & #2, I have them unopened in quantities. Shoot me an email if interested.
songdog@lemarrgamecalls.com

Good luck at you call'n.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Wiiings12

Post by Wiiings12 »

Ok, I got myself a rabbit distress call thing, and I would just like to recommend the place I purchased mine from. The sound and workmanship put into it are amazing! The man I purchased it from is Joe Bradshaw, he makes the calls himself to your specifications, and awkwardly they are pretty dag-on cheap! Check out his website some time!

http://www.arkyyoter.net/

Thanks guys
-Graham
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Wiiings12 wrote:Ok, I got myself a rabbit distress call thing, and I would just like to recommend the place I purchased mine from. The sound and workmanship put into it are amazing! The man I purchased it from is Joe Bradshaw, he makes the calls himself to your specifications, and awkwardly they are pretty dag-on cheap! Check out his website some time!

http://www.arkyyoter.net/

Thanks guys
-Graham
You did good. Joe makes great calls and is a good man.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"