First 2 coyotes with Hornady 45gr SP

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
walleyeman
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

First 2 coyotes with Hornady 45gr SP

Post by walleyeman »

Well I managed to put together a few good stands recently. Out of 13 stands I was able to call in 8 coyotes. Got two missed 2 ...the others I was not able to get a shot off.

The 45gr Horn SP worked excellent. I mean so good that I can not tell that they were shot at all. The first coyote I got was shot at 283 yds. The bullet grazed the check and hit the neck/shoulder. I waited what seemed like a minute or two but probably not that long, you know how it is, and decided to put another round in him due to the fact that I could still see the head move. The second shot entered just below the right ear and exited the neck. Super small entry and a slightly larger than .204 cal hole out. Here's a pic of the stand along with the coyote.

I also got one that was mangy. The coyote was running quartering away at just over 200yds and the bullet entered just in front of the back left hip and lodged I believe in the front right shoulder. ( Didn't skin it out to confirm but there was no visible exit)

All in all I am greatly satisfied with the performance of the 45gr SP. They group excellent in my gun and perform really well thus far on not so perfect hits. I know that I should reserve final judgment once I have shot more coyotes, 2 is not a big sample, but I thought that some would like to know how these factory loads perform.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Re: First 2 coyotes with Hornady 45gr SP

Post by Song Dog »

Awesome!
Its all good when there is a coyote or 2 down.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Good job! I was wondering if the coyote are heaver up north than they are down here. What do you estamate the weight of the coyote are up there?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

walleyeman: Good job....what twist is your 204 barrel?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

walleyeman

Post by walleyeman »

Ryan S Albright wrote:Good job! I was wondering if the coyote are heaver up north than they are down here. What do you estamate the weight of the coyote are up there?
The typical weight up here is around 30-40 lbs but I have trapped some fairly big dogs that were in the 50lbs range.
walleyeman

Post by walleyeman »

Rick in Oregon wrote:walleyeman: Good job....what twist is your 204 barrel?
My 204 is a CZ 527 American that has the factory barrel on it which I believe is a 1 in 12 twist. I love this gun, it shoots really well and will now shoot everything from the light 32's (Vmax) to the heavier 45's (SP)
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

two nice dogs. Thanks for sharing the pics.
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

Hi Walleyman, very nice......you must be one lucky man to have a 12 twist that suits a bullet range from 32 through to 45 grains. cheers KB.
' Pay it forward buddy '
walleyeman

Post by walleyeman »

kenbrofox wrote:Hi Walleyman, very nice......you must be one lucky man to have a 12 twist that suits a bullet range from 32 through to 45 grains. cheers KB.
I should probably clarify that I have tried the following factory loads. 32gr Vmax, 34gr Win JHP, and 45gr Hornady SP. They all shoot good but I was looking for fur friendly and effectiveness. The 45 looks to be the best of both worlds in a factory offering.

Also, you have to remember that the reason that most 1 in 12 twists do not shoot or stabalize the 40 grainers is that most people try the 40 gr Vmax which is a fairly lengthy bullet. The 45gr Hornady SP although heavier than the 40 gr Vmax is substantially shorter and thus is able to be stabalized that much easier. Its a common misconception that the heavier the bullet the tighter the twist when really it has more to do with the OAL of the bullet.
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

hi Walleyman, Ithink you hit the nail on the head there, a lot of people,me included think it's weight and not length( Rick put me right a few weeks ago) that determines wether a bullet stabilizes or not. I did not know that the 45g was shorter than the lighter bullet. My ruger n 1 shot 32 and 40 gr to same point of impact at 100yds (neither very well but none the less to the same point of aim. I am only just getting the stuff together to try reloading after 52 years of shooting so i need all the help i can get......Just ordered some 17 bergers yesterday, then read a post that says there's no use for them, just my luck. not all bad though midway just mailed to cancell order,they can't send hollow points through post to my address by law.I'll get there in the end. Special thanks to Rick.Cheers mate.KB.
' Pay it forward buddy '
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

walleyeman--Thanks for the report and the photos. I'm happy to hear those 45 gr. pills are working for you. Keep those reports coming!!!
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
RedTwo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by RedTwo »

i have been thinking about getting those 45gr. this topic has confirmed it, thanks.
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

FYI

MidwayUSA has these in Factory 2nd's for $13.49/100
walleyeman

Post by walleyeman »

RedTwo wrote:i have been thinking about getting those 45gr. this topic has confirmed it, thanks.
I'm glad that I was able to help! I am very pleased with the performance thus far. As mentioned neither one of the coyotes taken were textbook shots (broadside) yet the bullet did hardly any damage. I know for a fact that the 32 Vmax or the 34 gr Win JHP would have created much more of a mess and with probably at least one coyote running away.

Let us know how they perform for you!