One out of Three :o(

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

One out of Three :o(

Post by Song Dog »

We should of had 2.
Rhett and I start out on a long walk to our 1st stand. Rhett would tell you that it was 5 miles . We crawled under a old fence and walked around to the west of this open pasture. Tebbe, you should remember this place . I have never really bothered with the Baby Cottontail sound much but it has been proving well lately. I usually will use a non-critter from Illinois sound most of the time along with my Tweaked Squirrel. It wasn't 2 minutes this nice coyote is coming staight for us. Rhett sees it and I figured Rhett is gonna get the shot. The coyote drops down in the dip and I was telling Rhett keep your eyes open and be ready to react. Then after what seemed like 15 minutes, he pops up. I asked Rhett are you on him, he says NO, then I tell him I am on him and I throw a GREAT warning shot and he left . I instantly went to the pup-distress. Rhett notices deer run way out into the field. He says Dad keep an eye on them, they will tell us if another one is coming. He cracks me up with what he knows at now 8 years old. They were looking in the direction of the next two coyotes came from . The lead dog was on a good clip and jumping up to see and the rear dog was more relaxed, lagging behind. I then focused on him and asked Rhett if he could see him. He tells me, no. I wait for him to stop and I let it fly. I could really only see his head and neck. I walk out to where I thought he went down and didn't see him at first. NOW I AM REALLY UPSET. I look about 20 yards from there and there he was. I yelled at Rhett, we got one. His excitement was once again priceless, even though he didn't get a shot this time.
It didn't bother him one bit that he didn't get to shoot. He kept talking about how cool it was to see that one jump up and try to see everything and just the fact that we called in three coyotes.
I told Rhett that I wished he would have been able to take the shot on the first one, he says it don't matter, it was cool seeing all of them and we get to take one home to show Mom and Grace.
One thing I am so proud of him is the way he handles himself on stand. He is like a seasoned caller
Here are a few pics I took of him with the coyote. Since Rhett is my #1 calling partner, I don't need to be in the pics anymore
Caught this pic of him checking his age :D

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: One out of Three :o(

Post by Glen »

Great story SD!! You're Son is a natural.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

SD great story and pics as usual. Nice outfit on your son and the smile is priceless.............your a great teacher! Make the most they don't stay young long. Mine turned 21 in November!
Thanks and Merry Christmas
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Thanks for the great story and the pictures. It warms the heart to read about father and son out having a good time calling predators. Keep the stories coming!!!
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Thanks guys! It is truly a joy taking him, even just to watch him on the stand, priceless.
May need to get "Uncle Melvin" out to film. Well, when it warms up a tad bit. I don't want to make it too miserable for Rhett at this age :D .

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

That is GREAT, mine turned 24 this year and we did get to deer hunt for a couple of days. We are planning a PD trip in June to SD..........Them are the best days, he still talks about hunting trips from when he was younger....Kinda like pissing your pants in a dark suit it gives you a warm feeling all over and know one notices......He's about to make me a GRANDPA for the first time. I'm really excited about that.......
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC