I am hooked.

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

I am hooked.

Post by Va varminter »

Last year I tried calling coyotes for the first time. Didn't get any. I have never even seen a yote in the wild. So this year I am going to get serious about it after deer season ends. As I said in a post earlier, I am even looking for a dedicated yote gun. Anyway, I saw my first live dog early tuesday morning while deer hunting. What a feeling! He was running along side a creek in a pasture. It was in the early light, but he looked red and blond. And I know it was not a fox.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Re: I am hooked.

Post by Bergcrane2 »

I just missed one while pushing deer in corn the other day. A 300WSM might do some pelt damage though. :lol:
xr10065669
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Mark II .204

Post by xr10065669 »

December through the end of February is the best time to hunt here in Missouri. Februrary is their breeding season and you will see 3 times as many coyotes during this month. Since deer season just ended the yotes arent too hungry, but I will be getting the caller ready asap and get to calling them in. The best time is after its below freezing temperatures and with snow on the ground over a week. They will come in running hard! I love calling them in, its so exciting. Also, I dont know where you hunt but if you are in timber mostly, using shotguns with buckshot is awesome! I have hunted hard for the past 5 years and last year was my best year killing 3. Good luck this year!
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

Va varminter - Calling yotes is a blast, but can be discouraging too. Some days I'll make 10 stands and not get a single on in, but on others I'll have 2 or 3 come in on the same stand. You just have to keep with it. There is lot's of good advice and stratagies out there for you to look at also. Then you can learn what works for you and refine those ideas.
Keep us posted when you get your first yote...sounds like it might be soon! :pistols:
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.