BEST hunt to date, Rhetts 1st dog!

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

BEST hunt to date, Rhetts 1st dog!

Post by Song Dog »

Some of you may know Rhett got his 1st rifle at Christmas time last year. Since then we have been practicing shooting and going over basic what to do's. The To Do's, he has pretty much got them down,before stand, during stand, and after.
Tonight was his 1st venture to the hunt with his rifle. I am the back up gunner. I will do everything in my power to have him take the shot. He knew that if the behavior shows that a coyote is going to bug out, I will take the shot. We start calling and it wasn't within the 1st 10 minutes, Rhetts feet goes to sleep so I set him up differently so he can get comfy. This worked and he was fine. 15 minutes into the stand, I throw out 2 no dominant howls. Three minutes later the coyote appears right in front of Rhett about 200 yards and approaching at a good clip. Rhett says, "I'm on him Dad, what me to take him" I tell him no, let it come closer the coyote is fine. He asks again when the coyote is at 150 yards, "do I take it now?" I told him to relax, not yet. Here is when the excitement really kicks in for me. It is time for Rhett to take his 1st shot at a coyote. Coyote gets about 100 yards and we need to do something before it gets our wind. I tell Rhett get on him and I will get him to stop and take a good shot. Rhett says in somewhat of a shacky voice, "Ok". I had to bark 3 times to get the coyote to stop and when it did, BANG! Rhett lets it fly from his H&R Ultralight youth 223, coyote flip flopped and takes off slow but at a trying run. So the backup gunner, which is me, pulls up my new CZ 527 varmint in a 204 and hammer it. Coyote is down, we are excited as we can be. I told alot of people that when Rhett nails his 1st coyote, Ole'Dad may shed a tear. I was shocked that I didn't . Rhett was so excited it was funny So there was no time for happy tears tonight. I got Rhett settled down and told him we need to stay hooked (as Uncle Byron says) and went right into the pup distress. Well, we couldn't wait and called it quits. HAD TO GET HIS 1ST DOG I was so very proud of him and I truly know I have a awesome calling partner.
He was so worked up that he jabbered the whole time going to the coyote and all the way back as we dragged the coyote back to my folks house, who we called behind.
It was another wonderful Fathers Day (which is everyday)!

Sent Rhett after the caller, he says "Your not gonna turn that up on me are ya?" I made him jump before whe he was carrying it.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: BEST hunt to date, Rhetts 1st dog!

Post by Captqc »

Cool! I love to see kids getting into the sport. You will have years of fun together. Thanks for sharing. :D Gary
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Great story! I'm sure happy to hear Rhett got his first coyote! What a thrill for both of you. Thanks for sharing the adventure.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Nothing like the MANY firsts ahead of you and your family. EXCELLENT write up and story.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Congratulations Rhett!!!!!!!!! Thats a fine looking coyote you got there!! You did real good Dad!! I can't wait to see more of these pics.

BTW-- Looks to me like there's a couple pictures up there that are suitable for framing. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Good job and congrats to your boy! :wtg:
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Song Dog...........Great story with hugs and smiles to go with it! Thanks for sharing and what a great family you have there.
Congrads on the yote...............this sure is a great site with posts like yours and from others here. I wish we were all closer to share a hand shake, a pat on the back or a hug. You did good!!
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

Rhett's dad is my nephew by marriage and I talked to Rhett at church today about his coyote. He was still excited and had pictures printed off for me and told me about his hunt.

Jason's been working real close with Rhett and its paid off. I'm happy for Rhett and proud of Jason for taking the time to teach Rhett about gun safety and taking the time to take him hunting.

Congradulations to both of you.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

This is a truly awesome story...as are the rest on this forum. It's great to be on a forum like this!
DarkNight
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP, Custom White Oaks AR-15 .204 Ruger

Post by DarkNight »

A day that neither of you will EVER forget. Thanks for sharing that! How is the fur looking down there, priming up?
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

That's a perfect way to get a youngster hooked for sure. Nice job being patient enought to allow your son to do that. Hunting is often a team effort, and it sure is nice to have your kids on the team. Can't wait till my boys are old enough to go out with me.
Great Job!!!
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Thanks guys your words means alot and Melvin, thanks for putting up with us :D
Since it is team work, I made sure that Rhett understood that its not important who makes the shot, but that Team LeMarr gets a coyote down. He just smiled. Rhett is a team player and proves that in his sports.
What is funny when we go to Melvins to shoot, Rhett asks if Aunt Linda will be there. He will shoot for a bit and then go see what she is up to and probably shows her stuff he learns and or plays at school on the computer. He loves going there.
He got upset one day, when I wasn't pressed on service calls one afternoon, I loaded up some guns and went to Melvins to shoot. Later that day Chaunda told me that Rhett wasn't very happy that I went to shoot without him. So, that shows to me he wants it :D
On the 15th we will make Rhetts birthday early, we asked him to choose from a few options. He chose to goto Cabelas to get winter hunting clothes. As a Dad, I am loving this. I just hope Grace doesn't see a pink gun (Cinderella Gun she calls it). She wants one of those :D Oh my, I think I got my hands full.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
rpknaz
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger KM77VT MKII with Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40

Post by rpknaz »

Big thumbs up to you and your son! :wtg: :yeah: Hope I can write a story just like it in a couple years. Take Care, Rich.
Peace and love will get you killed. Unarmed helplessness is a welcome mat for evil. Self-defense is the most powerful, driving instinct in good people everywhere. To deny it is evil personified. Ted Nugent.