Good weekend

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Good weekend

Post by Verminator2 »

My dad and I got to go out again on Friday and Saturday. We made a couple of stands on some private that we recently got permission to hunt on Friday. No takers on the first stand. The snow was really noisey first thing in the morning which didn't help much.

Had one come hard on the second stand with me calling and since I was pretty exposed on his side of the dike we were on, my dad decided to help me with the coaxing. As soon as he lip squeeked the coyote put on the breaks at 150 to 200 yards. I got nervous that he was going to leave, took the shot and missed :wall: That shot is usually a chip shot for me, so on the way down the road to the next stand we found a place to stop and check the sights in my rifle :D It WAS off--enough to have allowed a miss at the coyote--so I dialed it in. The next stand is a pretty nondescript spot next to the highway where we've shot two dogs in two tries. I set up where we had set up before and did the calling. My dad moved forward 100 yards and set up on the end of a low ridge.

A few minutes into the stand a coyote breaks out of the heavier brush about 200 yards below my dad doing about mach 9. I don't think he could have been running any faster if we had been shooting at him already. He's running straight at me and my dad did some checks on the wind and thinks he'll let him go on into to me since I haven't killed a coyote in a couple of weeks and am starting to get the DT's. But the wind is close enough that my dad decides to swing with him just in case he winds him and he has to help me out with the shooting. As he begins to swing the rifle, I see the dog start to change directions and I think, "We're busted". But, instead of bugging out, the coyote never breaks stride or slows down he just turns and comes foggin' up the hill right at him! Now all the best intentions in the world go out the window--it's self-defense! Dad said there was nothing but coyote in the scope as he touched it off and he does a forward roll and lands in the snow nine yards from him.

We called a while longer before calling the stand. It was one of the top couple of stands my dad said he had in the excitement department. In our open country, we don't get a lot of up-close-and-personal stuff. We usually see them coming and stop them as soon as there's a good shot.

We made a couple more stands in the area and had some dogs howling but couldn't get any more in. Made a cat stand with no takers and saw one for a second on the last stand but no shot.

Here's the pics:

Saturday afternoon, my dad and I hook up with a guy to do some calling. First stand was uneventfull. The second stand finds me calling. At the 5 minute mark I hear Duane (the guy) starting to lipsqueek. I can't see anything from where I am at, but after a minute I hear a bunch of shots. Then I hear my dad say "I got the second one" :wall: :lol: We go after the second one first because it was wounded. Duane runs coyote dogs, so pretty soon the dogs are on the coyote.

I administered the coup de' grace (sp?). We went and found the other one and headed for the third stand.

The third stand was over looking two pivots. Duane was calling and at about 8 minutes there is a coyote coming across the pivot. At 160-180 yards I had a good shot, but he looked like he was coming good so I passed. Pretty soon Duane's 80 lbs. black dog starts to go out there and the coyote takes off as fast as he can. I connected on my second shot, but it was just a minor wound. We tracked him for 1/2 a mile, ran out of blood, and walked back in the dark hoping that it wasn't a very serious wound.

A fun weekend for me.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Re: Good weekend

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Great pictures and story!
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

Nice going Verm. Sometimes those unassuming spots not far from roads/etc. can be very productive since most people just pass them up. I really like the pics you got of the dogs and coyote. Very cool.
What's your dad shootin there?
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

It is a Bushmaster lower with a White Oak upper in .204 :D Pretty accurate too.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up