some more Down Under varminting

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
trevort
.204 Ruger Guns: stiller predator, lilja no 5 1 in 12

some more Down Under varminting

Post by trevort »

Another post I made on our local board copied to share the photos with my US buddies

Time to head up the north East rolled round quickly. Today was booked in my diary but by Friday no appointments had been made in the Albury office, so by the end of the day it read GanG (I used his real name :wink: ) Wangaratta and some bloke by the name of Thompson in Corowa. Since I didnt have to go to the office at all a bloke by the name of Ogre (not his real name :roll: ) came for the drive.

After we had lunch in Wang we met Thomo at his rabbit fields. I sighted in the 6/250. Great i have an excuse for the missed 200m rabbit he taped last time. It was off an inch to the right at 100m.

I also brought the 223 and fired 3 shots to sight in. Spot on.

So we were to walk a creek gully and periodically stop and snipe

Right, I had this 223 modified to be a walkabout varminter so I forced myself to leave the semi custon rifle in the boot and see what the 223 could do. Well its a pretty rifle and light enough to carryImage

We see a rabbit as soon as we leave the car. I spotted it so i load up, extend the bipod and lie down. I decide to use the newly adjusted 5.5oz set trigger and of course let it off before i have her steadied. thats 2 shots Thomo has seen me make for 2 misses. Damm this might be a long day!

Well once we got into the creek bed I got into position and Thomo and Ogre headed off to the next gully. I lay down and proceeded to snipe 7 rabbits with no misses over the next 3/4hr. This is truly varminting and a real hoot. Shane did such a good job on the CZ trigger I didnt even bother with the set trigger except for 1 kitten which at about 140m was the longest shot for the day. The shortest was 30m with most in the 60 to 120m range.

How did the 223 perform? Very accurate and very explosive. The rifle is now too light, and the 223 just a little more nudge than the 204 to see the hits completely on top magnification but I was getting back on target enough to see some separations and aerial displays Image

This type of shooting was exactly what i had it modified for and I could not have been happier with how it performed. I even took a couple off hand and a couple kneeling. I am not a confident offhand shot on small furries normally so this gave me a huge buzz. Again not enough distance to make the ranges challenging but I was hitting what i was aiming at and they were coming apart. They were mostly small half and 3/4 grown kittens which made them seem further away.

Then Thomo showed up and we walked further round the gully so he could show off. he had swapped his 204 for Ogre's 6br so they could both try something different. He spotted a bunny with its head and shoulders sticking out the burrow. Look what happened :lol:

It completely flipped over and ended up head first down the burrow. this is what it looked like when he pulled it out

A little later down the creek we found two rabbits who obviously wagged the day they taught anti sniper training at rabbit school, you know split up, make it hard for them. No these two posed one in front of the other. I swear I saw them shuffle round to get in line one behind the other level with Thomo's barrel :P .
Thru the head and into the guts. Good shot on the 2 for one deal Thomo

My tally finished at 18 rabbits, I dont know whether Thomo or Ogre counted but I had a great day with good company in a target rich environment. See you again soon!
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: some more Down Under varminting

Post by Glen »

Cool pics & a nice writeup trevort!! Thanks for sharing your "day at work" with us. :lol: :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Nice write up, great pics, cool scenery, and great shooting!

What brand of scope is riding on top of the 223?
trevort

Post by trevort »

its a Hakko 3-12 x 50 Tactical with a Mil dot reticle
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Tough day at work, I hate it when that happens. :P Great pictures and story. I have not heard of a Hakko scope, where is it made? It is always great to hear from the other side of the pond.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Good day shooting! I am getting the itch to hunt rabbits now. Thanks for the photos and great story!
trevort

Post by trevort »

Hakko are a Japanese company. I believe they are the factory that manufactures other companies scopes. They put a line of their own out some time back. very good scopes. They dont anymore. I have heard they let quality control issues become a problem but know nothing factual.