My first double

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

My first double

Post by Melvin Eades »

I went out to a place this morning I haven't been to since last season. I got out there and set up well before first light and waited. After it got light enough, I started with some howls and then tried the rabbit squeal. To make a long story short, I didn't call anything in. This process lasted about an hour. During this time, something had spooked 3 deer out of a wooded area 871 yards in front of me down the field. You can see the dead male coyote in the right side of this picture.

I sat and watched for a while and didn't see anything. In a few minutes, another deer came out running from the same area. Still nothing showed up. I had been on stand for about two hours and decided to pack up and leave. I moved down along the edge of the field to see if there would be a better place to set up the next time I was there when I saw another deer about 200-250 yards beyond the trees
go racing out across the cornfield with a coyote about 100 yards behind it. The deer out ran the coyote and it started to walk back where it had come from.
The coyote was a long way out there but I thought I would try and get it's attention. I gave some challenge howls followed up with some whimpers. It heard me and started my way. When it hit the end of the tree line, another coyote joined it.
I gave a few more challenge howls and some yips. They kept coming so I just sat and watched them through the scope. They stopped just short of entering the bean field so I gave some lip squeaks and here they came again. The lead coyote was a male and the female was starting to break to my right. I had forgotten to check the power setting on my scope and still had it on 14X from doing some bench shooting last weekend. I watched the male through the cross hairs and could see he thought someone was intruding into his area. His head was lowered like he was in attack mode and his back hairs were bristled. He was coming straight at me and the female started to flank me to the right. I had the cross hairs on the dog's chest but he would not raise his head for a chest shot. He just came trotting directly at me with his head down. I tried whistling and he wouldn't stop. I decided if he wouldn't raise his head for a chest shot I'd shoot him in the face. The shot was 63 yards. I shot him right between the eyes with the 39 gr. SBK. Here's the way I found him.

The female turned and started running. I got on the howler and started giving yips and she stopped and turned broadside at 253 yards. When I shot, I heard the distinct whack of the bullet hitting home. She whirled around running and jumping wildly for about 20 yards and fell over. Her she is.

Here is a picture from where I was sitting to the first coyote, 63 yards.

Here's one from the coyote back to the leafless tree I was sitting by.

Here's a picture from the second coyote back to the tree. 253 yards.

The male weighed 38lbs. and the female was 27lbs.
Last edited by Melvin Eades on Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: My first double

Post by Glen »

Even those coyotes get all bug eyed over these 204's. :lol:

Very nice write up Melvin as well as some good shootin on that female out yonder. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

What a shot! Thanks for sharing Melvin.
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

WOW! You ain't kidding between the eyes! Excellent shooting.
dancindave89
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by dancindave89 »

Ok Melvin,

Thats just awesome dude. I'm gonna get back out there again so we can give em another run. Keep it up, we love the stories.
Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Varmint Hunters Assoc.
NWTF
Varmint Hunter Extraordinare
Dancindave Zwiener
Singleshot

Post by Singleshot »

Excellent shooting Melvin. :reddot: Did you get an exit hole with either of those bullets?
Melvin Eades

Post by Melvin Eades »

Singleshot,

No exit on the head shot, however, anywhere I pushed on the sides or top of it's head was mush. Sounded like very small rocks gritting against each other.

The long shot did exit. It left a hole a little smaller than a dime. The bullet destroyed both lungs.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Speechless! Awesome shooting and writeup!
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Melvin: thanks.....great report and terrific photos. What rifle were you using? George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Great Shooting, and Greater Story, Melvin! It looks like you could get your money's worth out of that CZ Varmint. Those hides look pretty good for this early in the year, too. Keep it up, you'll be running out of coyotes pretty quick at that rate! :mrgreen:
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Melvin Eades

Post by Melvin Eades »

VarTarg,

I was shooting my CZ 527 Varmint with a 24" barrel.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
LowPro
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS - CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar - Remington R-15

Post by LowPro »

That's the way to whack 'em! Good shootin'... :w00t:
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Melvin--GREAT DOUBLE!!!! I sure enjoyed the photo of the bug-eyed coyote :mrgreen: Great story.

Did you get a chance to check the color of the inside of their hides? If so, was it creamy white or still blue? I was out checking fences on my farm last Saturday and tried calling if four different spots, The wind was blowing 15+ mph and I didn't get any customers to answer my calling. It is still too early for prime fur up here in North DaColder, but I haven't shot anything since July 13, so I had an itchy trigger finger--It still itches!!! The fellow at the neighbor farm had coyote problems this past spring and the government trapper came up there and snared 6 coyotes in two days.

[Edited for spelling.] :oops:
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Melvin Eades

Post by Melvin Eades »

Silverfox,

I didn't skin them out. I too, was surprised how well they looked this early in the year since we have been above normal temperature here all the way up till now.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Great Job! gives me the itch. Its hot and windy here right now. Can't wait for it to cool down.