Dogs dog huntin"???

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Dogs dog huntin"???

Post by Rugerdogdog »

I got a question for ya. Do any of you take your dogs coyote hunting with you? I do most of the time because of a "decoy" affect. Theory is, when the yotes come runnin, they will be looking at my dog and not me. I have proven this to be true on 1 occasion but then the only dogs I successfully called in last season happened to be when I didn't take my dog. Then last week I had one coming in but Rugerdog saw him before me, when I looked to see what he took off after, there was a coyote at about 125yrds, hightailing it out of there!!! :wall: :wall:
Any experiences? Pros and Cons?
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Re: Dogs dog huntin"???

Post by huntsman22 »

rdd, I like to have a dog with me on stand. An extra set of eyes cannot hurt. My old blue heeler was excellent (great blood trailer at elk camp,too). A lot of coyutes that would not have been taken, were killed due to her. My new red heeler is not picking it up as fast, tho. Here is my bud with a double that we didn't see until Sally let us know we were backdoored. Don
She was good on the trapline, too....
Great at elk camp. She's behind the horse.....
The more they can do, the better. And the more you'll miss 'em when they're gone.......
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Nice pictures. A good dog is a blessing.
Singleshot

Post by Singleshot »

I used to follow a Arizona predator site a few years back where one of the posters (and later the owner of a similar site) John Henry, used a large dog (a wolfhound if memory serves me correctly), as a decoy. He would stake the dog nearby on the end of a short leash so it could not chase the coyote before he got a shot at it. It also found coyotes that left a sparse blood trail. Even if the dog spotted the coyote and kicked up a fuss, the coyote would often just stand there and bark at the dog. Some jurisdictions don't allow dogs at large in areas inhabited by game animals so check your local game laws first.
.204 Sniper

Post by .204 Sniper »

Huntsman22 - Thanks for sharing those pics.

I've had a few dogs that I REALLY miss..................but I'm glad to have known them for the years we spent together.
That's the sad part of dogs - you really need to enjoy those 10-12 active years.

In a way they prepare us for the inevitable - so enjoy the time you have!

And ALWAYS let 'em sleep on the bed with you in Winter!
When your attack is going well you are about to be ambushed.
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Those are some great pics Huntsman. You gotta love the size of those mountain yotes.

You are spot on Sniper. He'll be 12 next month so I know the inevitable is not far off. Although I don't think the dog years/odometer are correct on this dog. He still gets out there and goes nuts like a 5 year old (35 dog years) nothing like a 12 year old (84 dog years :eek: ).He pays for it the next day but then so do I and I'll be 34 next month. :roll:

I have thought about the leash while on stand, the only problem is that he has spent VERY little time on one. He is literally as much my son as my dog. (I have 3 daughters and a wife and no sons) I dont think he would look/act as natural to the songdogs if he were tied up.
Thoughts???
I really want to continue to take him but not if he is going to scare off and possibly educate the quarry?
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
.204 Sniper

Post by .204 Sniper »

I know what you mean.....................I've celebrated the 16th Anniversary of my 21st Birthday! :mrgreen:

Maybe if you tether him on a few trips he'll get the idea. I would hate to hear that he took off after a double or triple and got mixed up in the middle of them. :(

Whatever you do - don't be selfish. Bring him along. If he scares them off and you don't score - No Biggie. When you look back years from now it will bring a smile to your face to know you gave him all you could.
When your attack is going well you are about to be ambushed.