Cheyenne's Coyote

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
mr.theman
.204 Ruger Guns: TC Encore

Cheyenne's Coyote

Post by mr.theman »

Took my 6yr old daughter Cheyenne out this evening for her first time. Went to a new place that borders the Cimarron River South of Stillwater and made a couple of stands. First stand produced no takers so we hiked about 1/2 mile to make another stand. On the way to the second stand we unkowingly entered what I have labeled "The Sandbur Capitol of the World" :bugeyes:. We spent 20 min after we got to a good place for a stand picking sandburs off our pants and out of our shoe laces. We set down and started calling and at about the 8 minute mark this female comes trotting in. She is about 250 yards out and headed straight towards us. Then she stops and takes a leak, kicks some sand on it and starts milling around, so I lip squeak and she starts straight into us again. At about the 100 yard mark she stops and I put one in her chest. She does the death spin and falls down. Then all of a sudden she jumps up and takes off so I give her another pill but it doesn't slow her down. She ran a good 150 yards before falling over for good. This was Cheyennes first predator hunt and I think I got her hooked. Before to long I will be doing the calling and she will be doing the shooting :rock:

Mr.T

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics and the long story!

My Encore makes coyotes Stop, Drop, and Roll!!!

http://www.okpredatorhunters.com Image
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Re: Cheyenne's Coyote

Post by Melvin Eades »

Mr. T,

The pictures are fine and the story too! It's good you took the time to take her with you and let her see what it's all about. You may have created a new hunting companion. Maybe the next time you'll be posting a picture of her coyote!
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

The pictures are pretty good, And by the big smile on that young gals face. I think she is going to be a fine coyote hunter in a few years. I think you got her pretty much hooked already good for you.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

We NEVER complain about pics and stories, no matter the length! Keep it up! :mrgreen:
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Drew Jaeger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF II

Post by Drew Jaeger »

Good effort. Keep the photos and hunting yarns coming. :wink:
Cheers

Drew

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
walleyeman
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Post by walleyeman »

Its always a treat to see young kids getting out and about in the outdoors with their parents. Good story and nice pics.

What kind of ammo were you using? Just curious.
mr.theman
.204 Ruger Guns: TC Encore

Post by mr.theman »

Thanks for all the replies guys!
walleyeman wrote: What kind of ammo were you using? Just curious.
I shot this with my 22-250 (don't have my 204 ready to go yet :cry: ) handloads 34.6gn Varget behind 55gn V-Max.
My Encore makes coyotes Stop, Drop, and Roll!!!

http://www.okpredatorhunters.com Image
BowHuntingFool
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 11 FNS Hunter .204 Ruger

Post by BowHuntingFool »

Congrats!!!!!!!!! Way to get the kids involved in hunting!!!!!!!!!! :D
Savage Model 11 FNS Hunter .204 Ruger
Leupold VX-II 3x9 40mm
Hornady 40gr V-Max

--07' Season--
Coyotes Called: 10
Coyotes Killed: 4
Coyotes Missed: 2
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

You never need to apologize for a long story around here!!! That's the way we like it.
No hijack intended--------> Here's MY Cheyenne.
Think she's ready for predator hunting yet? I can't wait to take her!!!
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
.204 Sniper

Post by .204 Sniper »

Great story!
We HAVE to indoctrinate our kids to shoot and hunt.....................otherwise the 'other' side might eventually win if there are no more shooters left!

My dad started me at 5 years old - I bunny hunted by myself at 7 (good old Ruger 10/22). I started my kids at the same age.
The 2 girls (18 & 13) don't like to hunt themselves (they like to go and say 'eeeew!') but are great shots. My 16 year old son is a heck of a shot out to 600 yards. He's been in ROTC since he started High School.
When he graduates he will be joining up with the Marines and going for Scout Sniper School.

My youngest loaded her own .223 bullets when she was 10 - then took her out the next morning and she shot with peep sights at 100 yards from a sitting position. ALL hits in the black. She's been hooked on AR-15's ever since.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

When your attack is going well you are about to be ambushed.