Help in Montana, looking for PD's, My story

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
herb

Help in Montana, looking for PD's, My story

Post by herb »

So here’s the story, I spend most of the winter reloading planning and getting excited about getting back into the field to shoot. I have lee six build me a new gun that I can’t really afford but can’t live without. I lived in Montana for 15 years before having to move to southern calif. I get back into Montana allot to fish and shoot. About 5 years ago I find a couple of fields that are beyond description, dogs everywhere. I could shoot for hours without moving, almost to the point of making it too easy. I always leave breeding stock for next year, and others.

So this year I pack up and head to the Big Sandy area and have spent the last five days in the camper waiting out the rain and the wind. It was supposed to be in the mid 70’s but it is in the 50-60’swindy and rain. So as I said in the earlier post I get to my field and there is nothing!!!!. I don’t know if they were poisoned or what. So I start looking around and can’t find a dog anywhere. Desperate I contact a couple of guys that advertise in the VHA magazine and they are booked for the year. The thought of paying someone to put me on dogs make me ill, considering I know there are dogs out there. I gets me how this sport is turning into a rich mans sport where you have to hire a guide to shoot dogs.

I am in the central part but will go anywhere. I have shot the Zortman area but wasn’t to impressed with it. It is over shot and the people are only interested in the tourist dollars, not that I blame them, there is not much going on over there. Anyone with info on other areas will be helpful. I will shoot on state land the first of june, but would like to find private land while I wait for june. Thanks
When the going gets tough, I go shooting.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

herb,
If you take 236 out of Big Sandy all the way to the Missouri River, the rancher right by the bridge used to let us shoot both sides of the river. If that's dead ask where to find some.
I used to live in Malta and I know there has been some plague, but they can't all be dead. Ask fish and game, ask at sporting goods stores, ask ranchers, even ask at gas stations and restaurants. Somebody will put you on a dog town.
Weather is good in Missoula today, should be good for you by tomorrow.
pipedoctor

Busted Dog Hunt

Post by pipedoctor »

Greetings,
Well, don't feel alone, I was also looking to shoot some dogs at the same time you were. I started off in Hulett on the 23rd of May, was snowing!! Plan B, head north to Zortman/Malta area. Rain, lightning, thunder, 40-50 mph wind. the week before it was 85 degrees. You just never know. I talked to the farm ag folks, and they said it would be three or four days before it would be dry enough to drive on the prairie, without any further rain. I went home!! Drove 2700 miles, and did not fire a shot.
I think I will wait until June next year. But am still planning on a trip to Malta in a week or so.
Wayne