NIGHT hunting ..... clue me in.

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Gone Ballistic

NIGHT hunting ..... clue me in.

Post by Gone Ballistic »

I've been hunting for 45+ years but never tried night hunting. Do you use night vision scopes?, gun mounted lights?, how and when do you turn them on? How do you know when a 'yotes' coming unless he jumps on your lap?
I need answers Thanks

Give me your techniques :!:
"The only thing a pistol is good for, is to fight your way to your rifle." ....the late Jeff Cooper

The only two people willing to die for you are Jesus Christ and an American G.I. .... Thank them both !
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

It's not legal in Kentucky, but maybe some Texans will chime in, or some of our Aussie friends, they do a LOT at night in OZ, from roos to rabbits to foxes, to...............
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Gone Ballistic

Post by Gone Ballistic »

It's legal here. We can bag coyote, coon etc. at night. Not sure about cats? I'll have to look up the 'regs' on them. I just can't imagine calling at night and have a 120 pound cat jump on your lap :eek:
Dane the Pain
"The only thing a pistol is good for, is to fight your way to your rifle." ....the late Jeff Cooper

The only two people willing to die for you are Jesus Christ and an American G.I. .... Thank them both !
Parkerb14

Post by Parkerb14 »

From what I have heard you want to keep the light on all the time and keep the animal in the "halo" of the light the outside edge not the brightest part. For my night hunting I have a gun mounted light and just a light I carry in my truck :D
Cooper M21 Phoenix .204 Ruger
http://www.cooperfirearms.com/
Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Post by Gmoney »

Oh man... :wink:

Way too much to type as I do tons of night hunting....

Instead of me typing a book I'd check this site out as they already have typed out exactly what to do....

predatormastersforums.com...

If you have any specifics or anything after you check this out let me know...

-Greg
Gone Ballistic

Post by Gone Ballistic »

Thanks Gmoney, I'll check the site ! :)

budman-8

Post by budman-8 »

we can hunt yotes all year long here in alabama but not at nite but you can get a permit if you apply for one but you have to let the local warden know what area your hunting weve tried it with some luck but you better bring the shotgun for back up we use a knightblaster light with a red lens the dogs dont spook as bad with this type of lite take a partner to watch your back and make some fur fly
Make some fur fly
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Night Hunting

Post by Ryan S Albright »

To night hunt you don't need as much light as you think. A nice light on your head with a red lenses is a needed device. With your hand held light keep the candle light power down to a 100.000 or less with a red lenses. Keep the light pointed up as they can't see the beam of the light and bring it down slowly this well light up there eyes with the halo of the light and give there position away if you hit them head on with the light you will see them flinch. You need to check the regulations on to see if you can mount a light on your rifle or shotgun. You might want to join a club of Varmint hunters for advice and liability insurance. Remember with the lights you don't have to see every thing around you just have to expose the eyes of the Varmint. Once you have spotted there eyes you some times can see there out line and tell what they are if you look though a scope you can see pretty good at night. You will have to check the regulations reel close. Here you have to hunt from a stand to be. Do your home work find the place to make a stand in the day time and return at night I find dusk to work real well. Get a partner to swat the Bears off your back.
madracer

Post by madracer »

we do a lot of it here in nz as well, it all has to be on private land tho as on public land you cannot shoot between dusk and dawn. The technique used depends on how much the area is shot as a heavily shot area the animals will take off as soon as the light gets near them otherwise it tends to stun them and they just look into the light. were also allowed gun mounted lights so i use a lightforce bolted to the scope with a curly lead running battery on my belt.

then the other way i do it is lights run of the car battery seems to work well.

but depending on your regulations this could all be useless info.