My sons 2007 CO 'lope buck

Talk about North American big game hunting.
skb2706

My sons 2007 CO 'lope buck

Post by skb2706 »

The CO 2007 antelope season ended quite well for my son this year.....except for the fact that he neglected to respect the recoil and eye relief of a .300 Win Mag.

This is Sunday afternoon, winter wheat on the farm and we had my son staked out in a fence post weed clump next to a two track field road. His mother and I position our selves about 1/2 mile away to watch the action and not mess up the shot. A herd of about 12 is moving in his general direction and we are excited for him. I just know he's going to bust one. The herd stops about 250 yds. out and I can tell there is one decent buck in the group. At the shot I notice that buck doesn't move but the rest scatter. Buck falls over...boy gets up in a daze. Seems he had crowded the scope on the .300 Win mag a bit close (he forgot that he had switched from the 6mm)and it clocked him. I had already got my buck earlier in the day but it didn't have the symetrical rack like his does. Not a huge buck but this one is very nice for the area and the shot was perfect.

260 yds. in some pretty rough wind -

Image[/url]
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: My sons 2007 CO 'lope buck

Post by acloco »

That is an excellent antelope!

Respecting the eye relief is usually a lesson only needed to be learned once. ugh...sometimes it is a HARD lesson...I do not see stitches or a dribble of blood, so he looks ok.

CONGRATS!!
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Ah, the telescopic eyebrow :? ! Well, he'll live thru that, and always remember that goat :) . Good deal! I'm happy if he's happy, and he'll get over the eyebrow thing pretty quick.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Actually the boy had blood running down both sides of his nose. When we drove up it scared the heck out of me. i thought maybe thegun blew up. We cleaned him up and othr than being a little dinged he was good to go. This one is mine from earlier the same day...........

507 yds. and he dropped right where he stood

Image[/url]
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
sniper model 12
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 single shot synthetic stock bull barrel

Post by sniper model 12 »

good lookin' steaks ! :D I learned to keep my head back a little when I shot a 8mm Mauser for the first time! Fortunately, it didn't have a scope, but I was unprepared for the recoil and the stock jumped up a bit and caught my cheek bone. :cry:

Taking a nice critter like that is a good self-confidence booster for your boy.

Nice!
"Adopt the pace of Nature: Her secret is patience."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

507 yards thats great was that shot taken with the 300 win mag also what weight bullet did you use? 260 yrds is a good distance also good going. The only thing better than taken the long shot is making the long shot. Yahoo! I am a whimp the largest rifle I use is the 7mm rem mag. Although once I did shoot a 338 mag. and was impressed with the accuracy.
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

ryan - Where we hunt antelope is all farm land ....in particular winter wheat about right now. As you can probably guess there is little if any cover and it takes a few tricks to get even that close most of the time. Since it is all family farm land we get alot of opportunity to practice long range shooting and have developed a technique for putting them down. It helps that we shoot prairie dogs in the same general area many times a year so shots over 500 are pretty standard fare. I would have prefered to get closer, in this instance it just was not possible.
We both used the Remington Sendero in .300 Win mag shooting a 180 gr. Sierra GK, ranged the beast with an older Bushnell Yardage Pro 800. The scope is a Burris FFII 3x9 Ballistic Plex (we use this feature) at those ranges and we shoot off a set of sticks.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel