2008 plans?

Talk about North American big game hunting.
Guy M

2008 plans?

Post by Guy M »

This year I've got bear, deer and cougar tags for Washington again. Bumping into a cougar while I'm out is kind of unlikely, but it's happened before. I like to have the tag in my pocket just in case. No real big hunting plans this year; mule deer here in Washington with friends & family. We have a lot of fun on our annual hunt, with only modest success. Usually one or two of the four of us manage to tag a mulie buck during the 9-day season. We're restricted to three-point or above (on one antler) and it makes a guy look careful before squeezing the trigger. There are a few big two-points around. Mature bucks with 24" spreads, but only two tines per antler. Not many of those characters, but ya gotta be careful!

I will of course put in for mountain goat & bighorn sheep tags, but chances of drawing one are slim. If drawn it's a once-in-a-lifetime tag.

I don't usually hunt elk. My wife doesn't seem to appreciate elk meat, so what's a guy to do with two or three hundred pounds of elk meat if he gets one?

How about you guys? Any big hunts planned?

Best of luck to all you hunters! Regards, Guy
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: 2008 plans?

Post by acloco »

"I don't usually hunt elk. My wife doesn't seem to appreciate elk meat, so what's a guy to do with two or three hundred pounds of elk meat if he gets one?"

You will have LOTS of new friends if you shoot an elk. 2-300 pounds of meat?

Have not hunted since my senior year in high school. But, this fall, plan on trying my hand at taking a antelope and deer at 1000 yards and helping another person take a deer at 1500-2000 yards (he is shooting a 338 RUM).
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

acloco wrote:antelope and deer at 1000 yards and helping another person take a deer at 1500-2000 yards (he is shooting a 338 RUM).
Why?...... Do they run away if ya drive closer? :D Can't the friend walk a half mile? ;) Make sure the 4 wheeler is gassed up, so you can chase 'em around the prairie to finish the job in case of a bad shot........ Let us know how y'all do. You know I'm funnin', right? Don
tuck2

Post by tuck2 »

Is the rifle custom made ?What type of scope is on the 2000 Yard rifle ? Can the rifle do 1/4 inch five shot groups at 100 yards. What is the ft/lb of energy that the bullet have at 2000 Yds ? How do you plan on preventing gut shots at 2000 Yds ?
AK204
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Hawkeye

Post by AK204 »

Lots of bear hunting this year. Putting the baiting equipment out this week and will be baiting next week when the season opens. Going to Kodiak Island in September for a goat hunt. Hopefully I'll see some bucks as well. Will do a long weekend hunt for caribou this August, too.
YoteSmoker
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varminter

Post by YoteSmoker »

Coyote hunting and prairie dog shooting now to September w/ 204 and 243 Win
Doe mule deer and bear muzzleloading in September w/ TC Encore 209X50 if drawn
Antelope rifle hunting early October if drawn w/ 7 Mag or 243 Win
Cow, bull, buck rifle hunting in mid October w/ 7 Mag or 30-06
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

acloco - Yup. I brought home a big ol' 6x6 elk rack and nearly 300 pounds of meat from a hunt in Wyoming several years back. Wife was used to venison, but truly didn't like most of the elk. I dunno why, the boys and I thought it tasted great. :D Anyway, I'm not real interested in filling the freezer with something she doesn't like. Just hoping to connect on a nice mulie buck again this year... Keeping my fingers crossed, and making sure I've got time off for some pre-season scouting!

Later, Guy
acloco

Post by acloco »

tuck2 wrote:Is the rifle custom made ?What type of scope is on the 2000 Yard rifle ? Can the rifle do 1/4 inch five shot groups at 100 yards. What is the ft/lb of energy that the bullet have at 2000 Yds ? How do you plan on preventing gut shots at 2000 Yds ?

Do not even bother shooting 100 yard targets. I am only concentrating on 800-1200 yards with the 300 Win Mag. The 338 RUM is good for quite long shot with the 300 grain bullets.

The 338 RUM will more than likely end up with a Nightforce 5-20x56 (has 100 MOA adjustment). Using the NF so the rifle can be used for 1000 to 2000 yard shots.

Preventing a bad shot....practice...and practice some more. The gent with the 338 RUM just spent $1000 on Sierra 300 gr MK's, they will be here this week. Costs about 1.15-$1.50 per shot of handloads. 100 grains of powder (you get 70 rounds out of a pound of powder), 50 cent bullet, and a 2.5 cent primer.

Powder ($28 per pound, 70 shot per pound) = 40 cents
Bullet = 50 cents
primer = 2.5 cents
cases (so far, he is on load #8, I don't think the primer pockets will go past 10) $1 per case = 15 cents
acloco

Post by acloco »

tuck2 wrote:Is the rifle custom made ? What is the ft/lb of energy that the bullet have at 2000 Yds ?
Tuck - forgot to answer a couple questions.

He is currently shooting a Remington custom shop in 338 RUM. The new rifle will be custom built. Savage F class receiver, Rock 31" barrel (1:8.4 twist), factory Savage stock, and as mentioned, probably a Nightforce.

I will let you know on the energy. We can calculate it, but, I plan on using several 5 gallon buckets of sand, placed a 2K yards, to test with (accuracy AND energy).

We will NOT take a shot unless it will be humane.

Western Nebr - where are you? I am in North Platte.
YoteSmoker
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varminter

Post by YoteSmoker »

Alcoco- Do you own a 2K yard rangefinder? What will you do if the elk is 617 yards away? Will your loads shoot the same POI and velocity in the fall as they do in the summer? Will you shoot your buckets at the same elevation, humidity, and temperature? What if the elk is moving and there is a 15 mph 60 degree left to right wind and your barrel is a right twist and the sun is at the 2 o'clock position?
acloco

Post by acloco »

YoteSmoker wrote:Alcoco- Do you own a 2K yard rangefinder? What will you do if the elk is 617 yards away? Will your loads shoot the same POI and velocity in the fall as they do in the summer? Will you shoot your buckets at the same elevation, humidity, and temperature? What if the elk is moving and there is a 15 mph 60 degree left to right wind and your barrel is a right twist and the sun is at the 2 o'clock position?

I will report back as the event occurs. :)

Other party is using a couple of Leica's, believe one of them will do the job. Scouting the area prior to the hunt will provide most of the info. Not sure if you have read Silverfox's reports, but very similar, if not the same, tactics will be used.

Ah...trick question. Not going after an Elk, at any yardage. Maybe someday.

POI/velocity - yeah...right...don't think so. If you never try, then you will never try. See how the practice goes.

Buckets - yes, elevation will be within 200 feet (remember, I am in Nebraska).

"...elk is moving and there is a 15 mph 60 degree left to right wind and your barrel is a right twist and the sun is at the 2 o'clock position?" Another trick question - not going on an elk hunt. IF the above conditions did present themselves though, .....believe I would pull my hat down a little tighter, squint a little bit more, and shoot left handed!
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

acloco,

I'll soon be moving to Estes Park, Co. Will I be in any ricochet danger being that close to you?
Good luck on your ambitious project, it sounds very interesting to me.
acloco

Post by acloco »

HotShot - You ARE moving! Good luck, moving sucks...period.

You are welcome to come out and shoot long range or take you to take pictures of prairie dogs. :)
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

acloco,

I've had bullets go 2000 yards before, but I never saw them hit so I guess it doesn't count. I am facinated with long range shooting, but my equipment and experience are limited to 800 yards on prairie dogs. Your ambitions sound like great fun to me.
Arizona Hunter

Post by Arizona Hunter »

My hunting plans so far include p-dogs in 2 weeks and a cow elk hunt in Dec. I just mailed in my deer app., so it's wait and see on that. Of course I have to do the squirrel opener in October-even though we get more cottontails than limb rats, it is a lot of fun.