Elk Hunt Report

Talk about North American big game hunting.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Elk Hunt Report

Post by bullfrog »

Well I'm happy to say I had a great time elk hunting. Yet sorry to say I won't have any elk meat in the freezer this year. It was a "hair tag" for elk with a muzzleloader. Unfortunately we only had one small snow and snow is a great asset in locating the elk. The day before it snowed, it was blowing and raining and I was able to get with 80 yards of a herd. I shot at a cow, but missed. Don't know how I missed, but I tracked for 2 miles and never found blood. I also went back to the same area the next day and followed tracks from the same herd. I found their tracks and beds, but never found any blood. The day before I shot a coyote right behind the leg at 92 yards, so I felt really comfortable shooting at the cow, but I'm wondering if the strong winds affected my shooting.
The next two days I was into elk over and over, but if I was in the thick woods I didn't have a clear shot, and if I had a clear shot, it was to far.
Never saw antlers (on elk...I saw some awesome mulies), but saw a lot of elk, and hiked my legs off.
Here are a few pics of the country. Lots of burned timber.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Lee C.

Re: Elk Hunt Report

Post by Lee C. »

Sorry to here you didn't get your elk bullfrog. But the pictures of the country are pretty nice any ways thanks.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

bullfrog: Glad you were able to get out, and even got a shot and saw animals. Any time out there beats the crap out of a day in the living room in front of the tube. Thanks for sharing and posting the pics.

Those mountians sure do look familiar! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

Those look like the Strawberry mts.? Were you around behula or Johnday area
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

Those mountains are Washington, Black Butte, and 3 Sisters. (cascades)
I've done my fair share of tromping through the strawberries though. My cousin's ranch property borders a section of the Strawberry Mt. Wilderness. Some nice bulls in there.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.