Mixed bag weekend

Talk about North American big game hunting.
skb2706

Mixed bag weekend

Post by skb2706 »

Just got back from a ‘mixed bag’ weekend on the farm. Had to catch a day or two of pheasant hunting, opening day of plains deer, tune in a friends prairie dogging rifle and spend a day bustin pds.
Pheasant hunting was just that, spent a lot more time hunting and no time shooting. Seems pheasants had a rough winter last year and did not rebound well in that part of the country.
Deer hunting was an overwhelming success . My older sister and I both got our deer from the same herd within about a mile of each other. Rumor has it she made an awesome shot at 190 yds. but I was still cleaning mine when she shot so I couldn’t witness it. Along with those two deer my brother in law and his boys all got deer…his youngest boy shot a beautiful 4x5 mule deer for his first ever deer kill. No doubt that will never be forgotten.

Went out there with a buddy and he had just bought a new Remington SPS in 22-250. We needed to dial that thing in and give it a workout….we did that. Had the gun sighted in in about 4 rds and from that point we went to torment the prairie dogs. Shot about 200 rds and I am sure we were over 85 % hits so we did a little damage. The SPS was very impressive shooting factory ‘white box’ ammo it was putting five inside a tight little group that made for headshots way out there. There is a whole pile of little dogs out there that “took one for the team” so to speak. The dozens of hawks flying overhead were in full approval.

About the only thing we didn’t have time for was some coyote calling but it was obvious there were plenty out there. At the end of the day we were pretty well used up.

Pics
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator
race4hills

Re: Mixed bag weekend

Post by race4hills »

Well done on the big game this year! :D Now all you have to do is eat deer, elk and antelope for the next 300 days so you have room for next years season! :lol:
204 try it you'll like it!
skb2706

Re: Mixed bag weekend

Post by skb2706 »

You got that right. The people at Steves Meats should give me a frequent visitor discount. With family and personal game animals I am into them for about $1200 and counting. I brought back four animals from the weekend.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator