Loaded .204 Ammo and Powder For Sale

Discuss, trade, swap, sell or buy stuff!
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Loaded .204 Ammo and Powder For Sale

Post by BabaOriley »

I've had some RL-10x on the shelf for almost a year and figured I should try some loads with it. I started off with the 25.6gr/Nosler, chambering them one at a time with a single shot follower in my AR-15. The primers were just slightly cratered, but I got a reading of 3600 on my chrono with the first 40gr Nosler. That should be at the lower end of velocity 10x should provide, so I proceeded to load (5) of the 25.8gr load to shoot semi-auto. Shooting semi-auto didn't work. They wouldn't cycle the action on my AR. I loaded up (5) of the 25.6gr load again, and struggled to get 2 rounds off, messing with the charge handle. No luck. I got 2 rounds off of the lightest 32gr V-Max load and decided it just wasn't going to work. So, these are for sale.

I also have a full pound of 10x unopened. The container I loaded these rounds with had been chewed on by a friend's dog (don't ask). Powder was falling out, so I poured it into an empty jug of 4895 and wrote on it in red marker. I can weigh it, but I'm guessing there's about 3000 grains left. Figure about 10,000 grains total, with 1lb factory sealed, new.

At least one case has a minor dent due to cycling half way through my AR. I only noticed one.

Here's what I have for ammo:
(3) 40gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, 25.6gr Reloader 10x
(9) 40gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, 25.8gr Reloader 10x
(10) 40gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, 26.0gr Reloader 10x
(10) 40gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, 26.2gr Reloader 10x
(10) 40gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, 26.4gr Reloader 10x

(8) 32gr Hornady V-Max, 26.0gr Reloader 10x
(10) 32gr Hornady V-Max, 26.2gr Reloader 10x
(10) 32gr Hornady V-Max, 26.4gr Reloader 10x

70 Total
2nd loading, to ~2.241 COAL base to tip. (I just wanted to make sure they fed easily semi-auto.)
Winchester Brass, full length resized.
Rem 7 1/2 Primers
Trimmed to 1.839
Case mouths deburred outside and slight VLD chamfered inside.
Uniformed primer pockets.
Flash holes deburred.
Each finished round polished with 0000 steel wool, and individually wiped down with a dry rag.

I took care to make these precision handloads. Someone with a bolt action might use these to see how 10x and these bullets might work for them.

Asking $80 to your door for 70 loaded rounds and ~1.4 pounds of powder. I'll ship the ammo in a 100rd plastic case, with padding inside so they don't bounce around in shipping. I'll include a chart showing what rounds contain what charges.
long range dogr
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls

Re: Loaded .204 Ammo and Powder For Sale

Post by long range dogr »

I know that you didn't list it seperatlly.But if you decide to seperate i'd be interested in just the powder.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

FYI - shipping powder is going to tack on a hazmat fee. Most of the grounds shippers require you to have a hazmat license to ship such items as well.
BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

Any ideas on why this is the first of maybe 5 powders I've used to load for this rifle and it won't cycle the action?
BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

BabaOriley wrote:Any ideas on why this is the first of maybe 5 powders I've used to load for this rifle and it won't cycle the action?
This may answer my question. From The Gun Digest Book Of The AR-15, By Patrick Sweeney, Kevin Michalowski:

long range dogr
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls

Post by long range dogr »

You have a pm.
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

BabaOriley wrote:
BabaOriley wrote:Any ideas on why this is the first of maybe 5 powders I've used to load for this rifle and it won't cycle the action?
This may answer my question. From The Gun Digest Book Of The AR-15, By Patrick Sweeney, Kevin Michalowski:

That is interesting. I'm using Reloader 10x in my AR-15 and haven't had any issues to date. Mine is chambered for .223 and I'm shooting 50 grain Sierra Blitzkings.
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

Squatting Wolf wrote:That is interesting. I'm using Reloader 10x in my AR-15 and haven't had any issues to date. Mine is chambered for .223 and I'm shooting 50 grain Sierra Blitzkings.
Yeah, I've been digging pretty hard for info on this subject for a couple hours now, and am quite confused. Check this out. Here's a section out of a powder burn rate chart (Faster near the top). I've highlighted other powders I've loaded for this rifle.

90. Hodgdon H322*** May have had short stroking issues also.
91. Ramshot X-Terminator
92. Accurate 2230
93. Winchester 748

94. Alliant RL10X*** Short stroking issues.
95. Hodgdon BLC-2*** May have had short stroking issues also.
96. Accurate 2460
97. Hodgdon H335

98. Ramshot TAC*** Never a problem.
99. Hodgdon H4895*** Never a problem.
100. Accurate XMR 2495
101. Alliant RL12
102. IMR 4895
103. Scot Brig 4065
104. Vihta Vuori N135

105. Hodgdon Varget*** Never a problem.

Thinking back, I believe I did have some of this same short stroking trouble with H322 and BLC-2. I blamed those problems on lube issues. I thought I wasn't using enough. After having some short stroking I started running it very wet, but then suspected oil was getting in my barrel recently, ruining any chances for consistent accuracy.I've proven with use of other powders that it isn't a lube issue. It runs the slower powders wet or dry.

So, could it be a gas tube issue? Any adjustments I could consider or have someone check for me?

I've had a couple PMs on the ammo/powder for sale, and if you guys don't mind, I'd like to slow down and seek some advice on this before proceeding with the sale. I was pretty anxious to see the great performance I've read about out of RL-10X, and was pretty frustrated when my starting load cratered primers, yet still couldn't cycle my rifle. Please bare with me while I try to sort it out before doing anything rash. Thanks.