wtb cooper

Discuss, trade, swap, sell or buy stuff!
fishnbob
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C venture predator

wtb cooper

Post by fishnbob »

My minds made up and I want a cooper jackson varmint in 20vt. I can only find the phoenix Mtv and the classic. I will look for a little longer but will probably order one if i havent found one by January. Also, if you know someone who may be sitting on a good used one, please help me out
Thanks
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: wtb cooper

Post by Rick in Oregon »

fishnbob wrote:My minds made up and I want a cooper jackson varmint in 20vt. Also, if you know someone who may be sitting on a good used one, please help me out.
Will do Bob, but do know that you're about the enter the "Cooper Curse" zone. Once you have one, they just seem to breed in the safe! :eek:

Here's another good Cooper source besides the ones I PM'd you:

http://www.covecreekoutfitters.com/bran ... t=featured

Be sure to post pics when she arrives! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Set up a wish list on GunsAmerica dot com. Worked for me.
K = ½mv2
fishnbob

Post by fishnbob »

Thanks I will give that a try
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

If you have a Cabela's near by, you can search their gun library [seems like they always have some listed] and they can have them shipped to your local store. For an out of the box deal, they're hard to beat.

Jim
blkdog

Post by blkdog »

Check with First Stop Guns in Rapid City. Great service and good folks to deal with
fishnbob

Post by fishnbob »

Well, i did it. I finally had some time off and made the drive to Michigun and handled about every cooper they had in stock. Including the phoenix 20 vartarg they have on gunbroker. I almost bought it but i am a sucker for the wood stocks. So i dropped some coin and had them order me a Jackson varmint in 20 vartarg. Now i wait and read and look at pictures. The earliest i could get it is march but could be as late as July
bobbynelson
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by bobbynelson »

I ordered my cooper m21 varmint in 20 VT this past march and still waiting for it. If your like me and a beginner at reloading then waiting wont really be a bad thing it took me a few months before i was able to get all my components and im still gathering gear. As soon as mine arrives ill put some pictures up of it. If you want some video to watch while your waiting check out Mrchuckhunter on youtube has some good videos using the 20 VT on rockchucks.
fishnbob

Post by fishnbob »

Yep, thats what i am doig. Shopping around looking for componentts and tools. I cant believe it takes that long. Did they give you any idea on a time frame when you ordered it? The dealer I ordered through said 4-8 months. You must be getting close to 9 now. What dies did you decide to use and what about brass?
Maybe you will bave it by Christmas
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

fishnbob wrote:Yep, thats what i am doig. Shopping around looking for componentts and tools. I cant believe it takes that long. Did they give you any idea on a time frame when you ordered it? The dealer I ordered through said 4-8 months. You must be getting close to 9 now. What dies did you decide to use and what about brass?
Maybe you will bave it by Christmas
What dies? I'd look strongly at the ones that are most prevalent in your area or get some replacement parts in case something goes wrong so you're not waiting on something should the need arise because "stuff happens". I've loaded match grade competition ammo with RCBS, Lyman, Redding and Hornady. For me, I ordered Redding dies and my set came with a necksize bushing die, a body die and a seater die. For this caliber I wouldn't bother with the competition sizer nor the Competition seater dies.

Start looking for either 221 Fireball or 17 Fireball Brass by Remington, or order up some Nosler or Norma 221 Fireball brass. You're gonna find that the brass is pricey no matter which way you go.

HTH,
bobbynelson
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by bobbynelson »

When i placed my order i was told about 6 months and i just recently spoke with cooper and was told mid to late Dec. i should have it. For my brass i picked up some of the nosler it is pricey but seems like good quality brass. As for my dies im gonna go with the redding just havent decided if i want to spend the money for the set with the competition seater or just get a set with a regular seating die.
fishnbob

Post by fishnbob »

Jim White wrote:
fishnbob wrote:Yep, thats what i am doig. Shopping around looking for componentts and tools. I cant believe it takes that long. Did they give you any idea on a time frame when you ordered it? The dealer I ordered through said 4-8 months. You must be getting close to 9 now. What dies did you decide to use and what about brass?

What dies? I'd look strongly at the ones that are most prevalent in your area or get some replacement parts in case something goes wrong so you're not waiting on something should the need arise because "stuff happens". I've loaded match grade competition ammo with RCBS, Lyman, Redding and Hornady. For me, I ordered Redding dies and my set came with a necksize bushing die, a body die and a seater die. For this caliber I wouldn't bother with the competition sizer nor the Competition seater dies.

Start looking for either 221 Fireball or 17 Fireball Brass by Remington, or order up some Nosler or Norma 221 Fireball brass. You're gonna find that the brass is pricey no matter which way you go.

HTH,
There are no reloading supplies prevelant in my are :cry: The closest store is a 2 hour drive and they only carry lee and a very limited supply at that. So I am stuck ordering and waiting. Are there any parts you suggest I order to have on hand?
fishnbob

Post by fishnbob »

bobbynelson wrote:When i placed my order i was told about 6 months and i just recently spoke with cooper and was told mid to late Dec. i should have it. For my brass i picked up some of the nosler it is pricey but seems like good quality brass. As for my dies im gonna go with the redding just havent decided if i want to spend the money for the set with the competition seater or just get a set with a regular seating die.
I am trying to make the same decision now on die choice. I am definitely going with redding but not sureif im gona get the competition seater. I will be ordering some nosler brass and also trying to get a hold of Adam Bentley to see if he has any of his famous brass available.
dsandfort
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BTCSS

Post by dsandfort »

Bob,
I can tell you for sure that it stings to pay for those comp seater dies, and the sting goes away when you use them. I'm using Redding across the board (type S) for the VT and everything is good. I'm also neck turning and annealing prior to first load. Nosler brass has been good to work with and it's out there if you search (kind of pricey as you know).
I think part of the fun of a new shooter is getting ready for the rifle.
Have fun getting ready. I have first hand experience with several vartargs.....they really shoot. My brother and I handed one over to our wives and they consistently hit eggs and clays out to 350 or so. Now they think that's just the way it is, no big deal.
Del
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

fishnbob wrote: There are no reloading supplies prevalent in my are :cry: The closest store is a 2 hour drive and they only carry lee and a very limited supply at that. So I am stuck ordering and waiting. Are there any parts you suggest I order to have on hand?
Redding or RCBS for me. As far as the extra parts; decapping pins for sure and the the long piece that runs down through the die that the sizing button and decapping pin attach to .

As far as the competition seating die I wouldn't get them for a length tolerant bullets. However, if you're using length intolerant bullets aka VLD bullets, I would invest in them. Never used a competition sizer die so I can't comment on them.

Jim