Your thoughts on AO for a .17 HMR

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Schrutester
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Your thoughts on AO for a .17 HMR

Post by Schrutester »

I want to get a higher power scope for my .17 HMR than the Leupold VX-II 3X9 I have now. I was thinking of purchasing either a 4X12 or 4.5X14 since some of my shots this past Spring on "Skippy" were beyond 200 yards (when the wind wasn't blowing).

I wanted to get your thoughts on the necessity of having an Adjustable Objective for a .17 HMR. From what I have researched so far, it appears that if I'm taking shots beyond 200 yards, I will probably need it. If most of my shots are under 200 yards (which they are), I could probably get by without it.

Those of you who have a .17 HMR with an AO scope, how often do you use the AO? Or, what distance do you set the AO?

Other thoughts?

Thanks.
Last edited by Schrutester on Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Re: Your thoughts on AO for a .17 HMR

Post by Jim White »

It depends on the scope itself. I've looked thru some fixed objective scopes and there was parallax at 100 & 200 yds. I have a AO in my 17 HMR and I set it at 150 yards and usually won't move it beyond to 250+ yds. To hit ground squirrels at that distance requires pretty good conditions and/or good wind-doping skills and of course...luck.

HTH
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Schrutester: Both of my 17HMR's wear Lupy 4-12X AO scopes, and I've found that setting a specific distance per the dial is fruitless.....just use the AO as a focus device for whatever range you're shooting. Seldom do the actual yardage markings on these scopes actually translate to 'real' yardage distances encountered in the field. If the image is a bit blurry, twist the AO until it's sharp; simple, and works well.

I've found that when shooting Skippy and his pals, you really don't need to twist the AO unless the range changes substantially, say 50-75 yards or so. A quick twist to sharpen the image is all that's needed, then you're in business again with a crystal clear sight picture at that range. In truth, I don't think I've ever actually referred to the yardage numbers on the barrel....just a guidline.

My Ruger M77/22 Mag switch-barrel rig, wearing it's Lilja 17HMR barrel with Leupold VX-II 4-12X AO scope:

Longest rat-kill to date with this setup (Hornady 17gr Varmint Express) was a ground squirrel at a lasered 328 yards....second shot beaned him. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White

Post by Jim White »

I should have been a little more clear...I set the scope to be parallax free at 200 yds. Dunno' what the numbers are on the AO ring but like Rick mentioned, rarely do they ever line up perfectly.

HTH
Schrutester

Post by Schrutester »

Thanks for the info guys.

Another question: Would you guys hesitate to buy an older Leupold? One of the Vari-X models? I am keeping tabs on some on Ebay right now, some are the Vari-X II 6-18 AO. I don't know if 6-18 would be overboard for a .17 HMR, but if the price is right...

Thanks
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Schru: If the price is right, snag it. I've got Lupy models like the old M8 going back to the 60's, and they still perform perfectly and are still covered by the lifetime warranty. You can't go wrong with a Leupold, period.

Also, the 6-18X is an excellent scope, and not really too much for a 17HMR, especially if you shoot ground squirrels or other small critters at extended range as we do. I've got one on a Ruger No.3 in .17 Ackley Hornet, and it's a perfect match in the field.

Another thing to consider is the availability of their Custom Shop if ever needed for reticle changes, turrets (target elevation as shown), not to mention very good resale value.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Jim White

Post by Jim White »

I have a early model VARI-X-III in 3.5-10x40. It's been sitting on top of a Ruger 77 in 30.06 since the 1983/84 time frame. There are scopes with better light transmission out there today but that isn't the only criteria for me. It's still has better clarity than a lot of the new stuff, IMO.

Jim
Schrutester

Post by Schrutester »

Thanks for all the info. guys. I appreciate it. :D
Schrutester

Post by Schrutester »

RIO: Do you have the fine duplex reticle on your VX II 6-18?

I looked at the custom shop and was disappointed that the VHR was not available for this model. I was hoping it would be because the .17 HMR gets pushed around quite a bit by the wind, which the VHR is helpful for. I guess I could order a M1 Windage adjustment along with the Elevation adjustment.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Schru: My VX2 6-18X has the Find Duplex, and as noted, I had their Custom Shop fit the scope for my .17 Ackley Hornet with a Target Elevation turret for exact, precise drop adjustments in the field. I would not recommend having a Target Windage turret installed, instead use "hold-off" for windage. (I know, the VHR 'wind-ticks' really are great.)

I've gone that windage turret route years ago, and have found that trying to keep track of how much windage is dialed into the scope all the time is an excercise in frustration. Add in ever changing wind conditions at varying ranges, and the overall effect on your accuracy, and it soon becomes clear that only having elevation to consider (with a turret) is the way to go. Trust me on this one.

If you go with this scope and Fine Duplex without any turrets being added, I think you'll be pleased with it teamed with a .17HMR, as you can use the fine portion of the reticle for a holdover reference (wind also using the horizontal), along with the tapered bottom vertical post. The .17HMR shoots very flat to its intended 250 yd capability, and using the reticle for holdover references becomes very natural and intuative once you've gotten used to it in the field. You really don't need fancy or cluttered 'holdover reticles' for a .17HMR....at least myself or any of my crew have ever needed one for the zillions of ground squirrels we've zapped with ours, even in the wind.

Just for fun, here's a shot of my Ruger 77/22 Mag-17HMR Switch-Barrel rig with the Lupy 4-12X AO in the field. Note the pile of HMR brass on the ground from shooting rats in one direction.......

That direction was a two-track service road to the well-head of the irrigation system. The rats were running from the alfalfa to the safety of the sagebrush, stopping on the two-track. The shooting was fast and furious, ranging from 125 to about 225 yards. The photo speaks for itself and only shows a small portion of the carnage:

My point is, that all this shooting at varying ranges was accomplished with the regular, not-exciting Fine Duplex, and not using my elevation adjustment once it was set at 1" high @ 100 yds.

If you decide to have the factory add an elevation turret, you'll find that you'll only have about three or four drop settings for the entire trajectory of the .17HMR....worth it? Maybe. If you shoot rats as much as we do; yes, but that's ALOT of shooting. Try it sans turrets first, spend the bucks later if you think you really want/need the elevation turret. JMO, HTH
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Schrutester

Post by Schrutester »

Thanks for taking the time to answer all of my questions. I really appreciate it. This last Spring was my first opportunity to actually do some rat shooting. I absolutely loved it. Also for fun, here are some pics from my first season out in the "rat patch." Working with the equipment I got for now.

My Marlin 917VS-CF .17 HMR--patiently awaiting a new scope and Rifle Basix trigger. The alfalfa was tall this trip, but luckily they had to cross this open area, and the unlucky ones chose not to run straight through it.

Result of a solid hit from this little round:

I gained a lot of respect for the good old .22 this Spring. I went through boxes and boxes of Winchester HPs. I was surprised at the distances I could consistently hit Skippy at with this round.
I was going to drop some $$$ on this little Ruger (Varmint Barrel, new stock, etc.), but instead decided to see if I could accurize it myself. A little time with the Dremmel and bedding material, and $20 bucks to a gunsmith to lighten the trigger pull produced a very accurate 10/22. My buddy always pokes fun of my see-through mounts, but I like them for the close shots.

Thanks again. :D
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Yep, gotta love those 10-22's. :D

I saw my first one in RVN in 1966....an intregally supressed unit carried by a guy in black BDU's. I got my first one as soon as I returned to 'The World', and have had at least two ever since.

My usual companion in the truck (note the AO...);

I'd hesitate to think how many rats it's taken over the years. I think it owns Winchester ammo stock too...... ;)

Looks like you've also got it covered in the rat patch. That looks like it was a good day in the field for you. Life is good. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Schrutester wrote:I looked at the custom shop and was disappointed that the VHR was not available for this model.
I don't know where you were looking Schru, but I know for a fact that this reticle is in fact available for the scope in question. I was just recently looking for a leupy for my new cooper in 20 vartarg. I was looking at the very same scope, VXII 6-18x40 AO, and the VH reticle is available for the scope. But it will cost you somewhere around $150.00, extra.
Go to Opticsplanet.com. When you find the scope you want, look for the same model, in a custom scope. When you get into the custom options available, you will be able to customize your Leuopld with just about any thing your heart desires, but like I said, it will cost you. The only reason I didn't order the scope was because I found a VXIII 6.5-20x40 AO with the VH reticle for under $500.00. The scope is used, but you would never know it. Now I just need the new Cooper to put it on. :huh:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Schrutester

Post by Schrutester »

Thanks futuretrades. I will check on that again.
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Leupold will back fit that reticle to one of those scopes as long as it fits.