leupold sushade options??

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
bang bang
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage m10 max1

leupold sushade options??

Post by bang bang »

I just bought a VXII 6-18X40 TARGET for my Savage max 1. It came with a 2.5" sunshade that screws in the objective, but it looks like crap! For some reason Leupold makes the outside diameter of the shade way smaller than the OD of the scope. It looks stepd down in size. It threads in fine and would work, not a smooth look. Does anybody know of an aftermarket company that sells a flush fittins sunshade for leupolds? My fathers older ones all fit perfect not sure why they shanged? Thanks
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: leupold sushade options??

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Yeah, I know. I've got a couple of them too and don't like the two diameters either. My friends at the factory tell me it's because of the adjustable objective on those scopes needing a slightly larger diameter objective bell. Because of part interchangeability, they only wanted to make one diameter of sunshade to fit all their scopes of that objective dia., in this case, 40mm.

All my VX3's have the same sunshade, but all fit flush like you mentioned, but most of them have side-focus, so no A/O and the diameter issue. I've not seen any aftermarket units that'll work, but Bruno or Sinclairs may have something, as I'm sure others have the same issue.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

What you need is a good friend who is a machinist. I have a buddy who made up a bunch of these. The silver ring is simply an adapter that changes thread sizes. A lot like adapters used in photography to change filter sizes. Unfortunately he said that he doesn't want to make anymore.

Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

Here is an image of the adapter by itself to give you a better idea. Male threads are the new size to screw into the newer breed of Leupolds, and the female threads are the old standard to fit the old size sunshades that are the same diameter of the scope.

I hate that Leupold couldn't do this on their own. The new shades look ridiculous.

bang bang
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage m10 max1

Post by bang bang »

That's awsome. I will definitly look into makeing something like that!! Thanks for the info and pix.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

bang bang wrote:I just bought a VXII 6-18X40 TARGET for my Savage max 1. It came with a 2.5" sunshade that screws in the objective, but it looks like crap! For some reason Leupold makes the outside diameter of the shade way smaller than the OD of the scope. It looks stepd down in size. It threads in fine and would work, not a smooth look. Does anybody know of an aftermarket company that sells a flush fittins sunshade for leupolds? My fathers older ones all fit perfect not sure why they shanged? Thanks
It does, doesn't it? I just picked up a Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40 (E.F.R.) and When I saw that, I almost sent it back. Nice scope though.

Jim
Denio
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Phoenix

Post by Denio »

I have a problem with Leupold also... I have a FX-3 6x42mm Adj. Obj. Competition Hunter scope and they don't make a sunshade for it, but they make the Alumina screw on lens cap for it... Question is does anyone know of a after market sunshade that will work. There are some 42mm sunshades out there but not sure of the thread pattern...
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

There are aftermarket sunshades available from places like Russ Haydon's Shooting Supply, Sinclairs and Bruno's. Both black and translucent/white are offered. A bit of research may be necessary, but there's alot of different units out there that may work for your application.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Denio
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Phoenix

Post by Denio »

I have tried to call a few places on the compatibility of the sunshades, and the person on the other end sounds about as confused as I probably do... I have a few options... such as live without one.. go the way of Trent with the collar... sell the scope... or take the 42mm Alumina Lens Cap to the stores to see if will fit on any of the 42mm scopes available... None of them sound like fun...