Why buy American?

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Lead Lobber
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Mark II Target Barrel Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40

Why buy American?

Post by Lead Lobber »

This is why.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvLcYQiP ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72XhFKTy ... re=related

Quality, reliability, and customer service are unmatched. Plus your money won't be going to Communist China. Most scope manufacturers have subcontracted their components and scopes to foreign countries. Regardless of price I want my money to stay here and not to some commie bastard.
TunTav0321
.204 Ruger Guns: Model 12 Savage

Re: Why buy American?

Post by TunTav0321 »

I could not agree more with the statement "Buy American". I have toured the Leupold plant a couple of times and I personally could not be more impressed with the work they do and the quality they turn out.

Now with that said I also understand that some folks feel that Zeiss are some of the other scopes built off shore are very fine products. Even Nightforce an American Co use glass from Japan, and Nightforce is very good quality. Those Companys do make good quality products, but at some point you as Americans have to ask your self and decide for your self if the money you spend is spent best Here in America on American made products. Or if it just doesn't matter where the money goes in your opinion. Sadly politics will need to be considered in that opinion.

I am a old Guy "NOW" wonder were all them years went sometimes as well. I grieve the loss's that America has suffered over the past years. We hardly make anything here anymore and that is in deed a sad fact. If we continue on this path of shipping everything off-shore were will that lead us "ALL"? Now with that said I also don't believe that the future HAS to be as dim as it seems sometimes, another words the future is not written just yet. So we all need to make a choice. I personally have chosen that whenever possible I will in fact buy American. If doing that I have to spend more money than so be it, I even carry that as far as this--Even if I have to settle for some less quality in that purchase by choosing American Made So Be That As Well. It's got to start somewhere.

I do not harbour under the illusion that I as one person alone can make a difference, but I can make a difference to "ME" and after all thats really the only person I have to make a difference to.....

Roland
Protected people will never be able to understand the intensity life CAN be lived at. To do that you must complettly understand the meaning of the word "DUCK"
GaCop
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15, 24" stainless varmint barrel

Post by GaCop »

Well said.........
Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Post by Ahab »

Yes, Leupold makes a decent scope but much of the parts are outsourced, (Read Asia) and assembled here. ;)
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ahab wrote:Yes, Leupold makes a decent scope but much of the parts are outsourced, (Read Asia) and assembled here. ;)
I know for a fact that only the glass lens comes from offshore: Germany and Japan, ALL, and I mean ALL other Leupold components are made right here in Oregon. I've been to the factory on many occasions, seen the production, and know this for a fact.

This is another case of internet gossip being spread without knowledge of the facts. Don't take it personally Ahab, no offense intended, but we've seen rumors like this before on the net.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Post by Ahab »

Sorry Rick, but you have no idea what your talking about. I can understand your brand loyalty but blindsideness to the facts doesn't become you. Here are just a few factoid websites refuting your opinion:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... 750&page=9

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar187.htm

http://www.worldtrademag.com/Articles/F ... 0000351895 (note: this info is coming from Leupold)

And if you need a few more, Google "Leupold offshore outsourcing" :D
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

All taken in stride Ahab, but when I refer to Leupold, I'm not referring to any Green Ring products from offshore sources. I only purchase and use their Gold Ring products riflescopes, and those are all made right here with U.S. components. I've seen the raw materials.....all U.S. sourced.

I'm fully aware of all their imported products, but that's not the Leupold I use nor refer to. If it's got rare earth magnets that originated from Dagistan, or alloys that came from the Ukrane, I'm not splitting hairs....it says "Made in USA", and that's what I'm referring to, NOT the crap made in China.

Also, one of your above references was to Weaver, not Leupold. And I may have brand loyalty, but I'm not blind; I'll freely admit and eat crow to the sad fact that some of their materials are sourced globally, but all machine work, and actual buliding of their Gold Ring products takes place not far from here.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails