weaver scopes - how good are the new ones ?

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

weaver scopes - how good are the new ones ?

Post by cshooter »

Hi guys, I have a 4 x 12 Simmons scope that came out on my Savage Preditor. I've had it a few years now and it's held up pretty good for a cheap $60 scope. But when it gets foggy, dusk dark, or when I just need to see what I'm looking at clearly, it just does'nt have it. The camo matches the rifle, which is the main reason I've left it on there this long. But I'd like to move up to a 4 x 16 power scope with better clearer optics. I don't have much money to spend on a new scope until this summer. I see the Weaver V series scopes are around $350 and some of my dad's old Weaver scopes are very tough good scopes, but they are 30+ years old. I know the Loupolds, Nikon, Burris ect are better scopes, but I'll be waiteing forever untill I get enough money saved up for one of those. I have a 3 x9 x40 Bushnell Elite on my old 22 Hornet, and that Rain Guard stuff sure cuts the rain and fog, but an Elite in anything to 16x is around $5-600. I just wondered if a new made Weaver scope would have good enough glass to get the job done on this farms crows, pigeons,and coyotes ?
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Re: weaver scopes - how good are the new ones ?

Post by RowdyYates »

I'd pop for a Grand Slam: better glass and not much more $ than the V-series and the 6-20X40 isn't usually more than the 4.5-14. http://www.natchezss.com is closing out the Nitrex (Weaver Super Slam) line; if they're not all gone: a 3-15X42 side-focus TR Two is only $200 after rebate. Also, Natchez and others now have low prices on discontinued Bushnell 3200 and 4200 Elites in most powers. A good time to buy a scope :) .
Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Re: weaver scopes - how good are the new ones ?

Post by Ahab »

Another choice would be the Nikon Buckmaster refurb at Natchez. I just picked up a 4-12x50 and it's about as bright as my Zeiss. :D
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society