NIKON OR VORTEX

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

NIKON OR VORTEX

Post by RAMOS »

Looking for a scope to put on a Cooper .204R that is yet to arrive. Leupold is first-rate but, not in the budget at this time. I have narrowed it down to these two: Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 or, Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44PA. At present I have Nikon VX-II (old) and Nikon Buckmasters at home and like them both. Been doing a bunch of reading on the Monarchs and Vipers but, do not have first hand experience with either one and do not have opportunity to look through or try either one. Any first hand information on either one would be much appreciated. Price wise, they are the same. Thank you.
Cover Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BGTVSS

Re: NIKON OR VORTEX

Post by Cover Dog »

I have a Vortex 6.5-20x44 and for the money I don't think you can beat it. Very clear, tracks well, 30mm and side paralax adj. whats not to like.

www.cameralandny.com has them on sale now for $249.00. Lifetime warranty is hard to beat.
Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Post by Ahab »

Both are great scopes. Toss a coin. ;)
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Yes, I think they are pretty comparable. Looks like the Nikon is a bit more forgiving as far as eye relief goes.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

If it matters at all, I've heard from industry optics guys that the Vortex line of scopes are a very good value and competitive with other decent scopes in their price range. Like has been said, for the money, either won't disappoint. Just what I've heard.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

I have the same "problem" and have pretty-much settled on that same Nikon for a my Cooper .204 Varminter. I'm already set up for it with Talley medium (1") Lightweight 1-pc. ringmounts, which should barely let the Nikon clear the barrel and bolt. I'm primarily looking for the smaller size/weight and probably won't need the extra adjustablilty of the 30mm Vortex, although it sounds like a fine alternative (and, FWIW the name sounds more "American" for a U.S.-made rifle.) The Nikon has 1/8" clicks while the Vortex appears to have 1/4", if that matters. Also: looks like those lower prices on the Vortex are only on the fat duplex and target dot reticles.
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

I think I'm leaning towards the Nikon (slightly). I don't expect to see the rifle before November so I've got some time to make a decision. Thank you ALL for sharing your' thoughts.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Just a FYI, if the Nikon happens to be a refurbed unit they only carry a 90-day warranty. I had a 6.5-20x44AO (FCD) that I purchased new that threw a reticle. It was replaced with a 6-24x50SF (FCD) free of charge. My only fee was for shipping the original unit in. Doesn't get any better than that.

As far as optics, the unit I have gets a tad fuzzy around 20x, otherwise, in broad daylight it's as clear as anything I have.

HTH,
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I put a 6.5-20 Vortex Viper on my 20 VarTarg and just got back from Montana on a prairie dog shoot. I love my Vortex. It easily and rapidly changes the power setting. It is clear and bright. I have a couple of the Monarchs and I think I prefer the Viper. Both are nice scopes.
Please, no Sidewinder today!