Difference between Leupold VXII and Rifleman

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
RLKondo
.204 Ruger Guns: NEF 204

Difference between Leupold VXII and Rifleman

Post by RLKondo »

I am looking at a rifle that is listed as having a 3X9X50mm Leupold, but it doesn't say what model. I have not physically seen the rifle yet, just pictures. The price of the gun is very reasonable, which makes me question which model scope it has mounted.

By looking is there a I can tell the difference between the VXII and the Rifleman? The front of the scope has a flip of cover that covers where I believe it would say.

From looking at pictures on cabelas website, it looks like the Rifleman models have a silver ring around the front tube, while the VXII has a gold ring, does this sound correct?? It also looks like the VXII has a slightly raised nob on the ring to change the power of the scope, and the Riflemand does not??

I'm going to look at the rifle on Friday, just thought I would do some research before arriving.

Thanks for the help!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Difference between Leupold VXII and Rifleman

Post by Rick in Oregon »

RL: It's hard to visually discern in a photo between the two, but if you look at their website, you'll see some slight visual differences.

http://leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting ... ts/scopes/

All Leupolds built in Oregon have the Gold Ring, even the Rifleman series. There's quite a mechanical/optical difference between the Rifleman and the VX-II, which up until just a couple of years ago, were VX-III's (now replaced with the much upgraded and improved VX3 Series).
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RLKondo
.204 Ruger Guns: NEF 204

Post by RLKondo »

Rick

I went and checked the rifle out, it is a VXII. I ended up purchasing a Weatherby, Vanguard 22-250, with the 3X9X50- I couldn't pass up the price $599. Great scope, the first 50mm objective that I have owened-WOW a whole new brightness. I think I am motivated to buck up the extra money in the future to purchase 50mm objectives.

In Washington, you must have a 22 cal to be legal to shoot a cougar. I dont have any cougar hunts planned, but want to be able to shoot one if I am out coyote hunting and happen to see one.

To pursauade my wife that I needed a legal cougar capable rifle, I had my newphew tell my wife that he would be willing to let the cougar eat him instead of me shooting the cougar with the .204 and breaking the law. He hammed it, she laughed and I agreed to trade a gun, result -Advantage New Rifle

Thanks for the info Rick!
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

I have a leupold 6.5x20x50 IOn my 22-250 but a vx III Awsome optic. but more pewer than needed to coyote hunt in my opinion. I seldom set above 12x as it becomesharder to acuire target when moving. Here in Illinois yotes are nervous If you get a standstill shot shoot quick! Therefor the 204 in ar 15 im working on is getting a 4-12x 40mm nikon. I cant afford a leupold right now? I think many of us that hunt and are not benchrest shooters tend to over scope? Mywife says it is a man thing? :?