Leupold Binoculars

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Leupold Binoculars

Post by Jim White »

Anybody have an opinion on these (quality)? I looked at a pair of switch power bino's from them and I was kinda' starting to like them. IIRC, they had 7x12 and 10x17. On that line has anyone looked through their (Leupold) HD lens binoculars (they're a fixed power) and if so, how did they stack up to the competitors?

Thx,
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: Leupold Binoculars

Post by Captqc »

I have Leupold 10x Goldring binoculars and they are great. Rick has the switch power model in 7 -12 x and he loves them. I tried mine a dusk and could make out more detail than with my Gen 1 night vision monocular! Gary
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim: I've had both the HD Matched Lens System new Gold Ring 8X and 10X (Gary has a set of 10's). They're excellent glass, designed to compete with the spendy Euro stuff. Although I really liked my fixed 8X, I sold them for a new Switch Power in 7-12X and love them.

The photo below shows my 8X alongside my SP's 7-12X's. The SP's have the 32mm objectives, so wil not transmit as much light in dim situations, but even in twilight, they're still much brighter than any competitors glass I've looked through, even with larger objectives (Jap imports, not the Swaro's or Leica's). They're also much smaller and lighter, which is important to me for big game hunting. The nice wide field of view of 7X is perfect for long periods of glassing (game or rats), and the ability to zoom up to 12X for a good look-see is a most excellent feature that I've used countles times. As you'd expect, the image is as sharp and crisp, as is the resolution and color balance.

I'd warn against the 12-17X model, as it's intended for birders, and requires a tripod to use properly, as you really can't hand-hold any optic with magnification much over 12X unsupported. It's also much heavier than I'd want around my neck, even in a bino harness while hunting. JMO
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Gary, Rick;

Thanks for the input. The switch 7x12 really caught my eye because of their compactness and the 7x which I would probably use the most. I think I'll just have to add them to my "aquire" list this year. Besides, there is a $200 rebate thru the end of the year.

I was also eying the Leupold RX-1000 range finder although I'm also looking at a Leica and/or a Zeiss. The Leica doesn't have the TBR, ARC, BIS (up & down hill calculations) but I wonder how often I would really need that. The only complaint I hear of the Leupolds is they're cumbersome to set up other wise they look like a good bargin and they are very compact unlike the Zeiss. Of course I like the Leica, clear and pretty straight FWD. The Zeiss has a some what large circle that covers a lot of area "way over yonder".

Thanks again,

Jim
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim, on the LRF subject, normally you'd expect me to go "L" immediately. Not so. I've used the Leica LRF 1200 since they first came out, and have not jumped ship. I've used the Lupy unit, virtually every model they have (and other brands), but still use my Leica LRF. No experience with the Zeiss as it's come out since, so cannot comment.

I see Steiner just came out with their version of Leica's BFD, or a 10x50 laser rangefinding binocular. I'm guess it's a matter of time until Leupold and the others follow suit....guess we'll see. :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Captqc

Post by Captqc »

I agree with Rick on the range finder. I have the Leica CFR 1200 and it works great. Basically a point and shoot range finder but it sure works! Gary
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

I liked the Leica's too. The Zeiss was nice and it has the BIS system but they wern't near as compact as the Leica or Leupold models.

Jim
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Here's my .02 again. Got the tactical model of Leupolds binocular's 10 x 50. They are crystal clear and bit on the heavy side, but made for heavy duty use. The Range finder I got is the one Gary is talking about.......should be good for 1500 yards. Haven't ranged any road signs that far. The rock we shoot at up on our Mtn is range with (2) Leica CFR 1200 and we get readings of 952, 958. 955. Tried my Leupold wouldn't get a reading on the same rock?? I have ranged other flate rocks closer and got readings of 575, 585, 625. I under stand ranging objects have to be flate or have good reflective qualities to range well. I thought since the Leupld was good for 1500, anything a 1000 and less should be easy? Not a problem for the Leica's again just my .02.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Jim,
Year and a half has gone by since I got my Leica Geovid (range finding binos). Just go for it if there is any way to swing it. Fantastic binos (I got the 10X) with great range finder built in. No more switching back and forth. I got rid of my Swaro binos, Leica 1200, and Pentax binos to do it. I still have a great pair of Elite's for sale(see swap). I've tried the above as well as Leupold Katmai. I've had 2 Leica range finders , a Nikon, and a Leupold. All I want to know from the range finder is the distance and nothing does any better than the Leica. Swarovski has great products, but I wear eye glasses and the Leica works better for me. Leupold green rings are not eye glass friendly, gold rings are quite heavy but work well with glasses. The best buy in binoculars right now might be the Bushnell e2. Same great optics as their highly regarded Elite series in a cheaper frame. A retired industry rep with lots of experience and ties to none, recommends the Bushnell as a
"best buy". This opinion is worth every penny you paid for it.
Mark
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

I looked thru a pair of Zeiss and Leica range finding bino's at Cabela's. They sure were nice, a tad spendy but nice.

Jim
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Jim, check out CDNN. They have Leupold Gold Ring 8x32 for $339 and 10x32 for $369! :eek: That is a screaming deal. Gary
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Gary,

Pardon my ignorance but who is CDNN?

Thx,

Never mind, I found them.

Thx
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim, it's a huge wholesale mailorder house that advertises in both Gun List and Shotgun News with large ads every issue.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Thanks.

I was really impressed by those switch power bino's and I'll probably hold out for them.

Jim
greenmonster204
.204 Ruger Guns: custom side-bolt ar-15, rem 700 vtr, rem 700 spc

Post by greenmonster204 »

sorry for the late post. i work in a retail store and have looked through all the binos and rangefinders for many hours and all in low light situations. i think you would be pretty happy with switch power binos, while there are more clear binos ( swaro, leica, zeiss victories) you will pay many hundred even a thousand dollars or more for them. for the price those switch powers are pretty sweet. range finders, depending on whether or not you want somthing that will do angle compensation or not and whether or not you want binos or a monocular style its tuff to say. i think in a range binos after playing with both side by side the zeiss has a way superior rangefinder over the geovids. easily get further ranges and more accurate. big downside to the zeiss is they are BIG and HEAVY. In the monocular style i think if you dont want the angle then i would go with the leica 1200. nice, compact, easy to use and read. the zeiss and swarovski are really nice also but again they are much bigger and bulkier for pretty much the same thing. for a thousand yard one i think the best bang for the buck is the leupold rx 1000 with the tbr (true balistic range). i guess it all depends on how much you wanna spend haha. sorry for the long post didnt realize i was rambling.