Scope to match the Hornet

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Scope to match the Hornet

Post by Lenard »

I have been struggling with the thought of putting a large scope on my new Hornet since I bought it. I wanted something small enough to not over power the small action/gun as the gun will be carried a lot this next season.

After visiting SWFA's site, I found a Burris 4 1/2-14 with a Ballistics Plex in their compact version. I received it last week and got it mounted on the Hornet. Eye relief seems to be very good for me and fits that short space between the mounts with room to spare. It is a 32 MM objective with a parallax adjustment. I am at that point in my life that I don't see a need for a very expensive scope for shooting up to 200 yards, but did need the power for these old eyes. The price was $200 bucks which I thought was especially good.

Took it out today as the weather was decent. The gun still shoots good groups, but the scope will need some getting used to, using the new ballistics plex. All in all, it appears to be an excellent light scope for the money. By the way, it has a lifetime guarantee.

Lenard
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Re: Scope to match the Hornet

Post by RowdyYates »

Lenard: did you say what brand Hornet you have? Sounds like either a CZ or Browning Micro. I'm having the same quandry with my little CZ 527 .221 Fireball. Want more X without much more size/weight, also AO so won't have to peer over my eyeglasses. I, too, picked up one of those Burris Timberline 4.5-14s for a decent price, (plex reticle, though) with the intention of putting it on a rimfire rifle, but am considering trying it on the CZ. It's actually designed for short, magnum rifles - with long eye relief, "small" f.o.v., and limited adjustability, but don't see why it wouldn't work with a small-cal. centerfire, within limits. Please keep us posted on progress with it, and I'll do likewise if I go that route.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Re: Scope to match the Hornet

Post by Lenard »

Rowdy, it is in fact a CZ. To me, it was a logical choice, even with the 32 MM objective. Some of us old men don't get out at daylight to shoot so light gathering is not an issue. I have a number of other small bore rifles that I can use with much larger scopes for when the hornet is not approriate.

I did purchase one of the 3X9 Timberline models for my Ruger 77/22 as the ballistics reticle will give me a reference point for holding at 100 yards and further. Next is shooting the hornet at 150 and 200 yards using the BP reticle.

I would bet your CZ will shoot well as reports have been very positive around the various shooting sites regarding the CZ.