Paralex?

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
cracker

Paralex?

Post by cracker »

as you can see a dont know how to spell parrillex. but heres my question. I have a nikon bdc scope 5x15x40 with side focus. the bullet drop is working great so far out to 300 yrds thats the farthest I have shot it. with 165 grain gamekings running about 2730fps the elevation is spot on out to 300. however the 200 yrd group was to the left about 2 inches and the 300 yard group was to the right about 2 to three inches. my question is could this be from not having the paralax set correctly or could it be a flaw in the scope or just my poor shooting.
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: Paralex?

Post by Captqc »

Hey Cracker, Don't worry about spelling! Here's a link to a good description of parallax in a rifle scope. Gary
http://www.6mmbr.com/parallax.html
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

Hey Cracker....Turn the rifle sideways 90 degrees and you'll be right in the middle. :lmao:
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

After trying giterdone's method ( :lol: ), just try reshooting the rifle, but concentrate on keeping your eye/head in the same position behind the rifle, as it sounds like all is well mechanically/opically, it's just you not having your eye centered consistently at the ocular eyepiece.

If you have adjustable parallax on the scope, and your image is crisp and clear, then the scope is set for that distance, no matter what the distance marks says on the adjustment dial. Focus, center your eye in the scope and shoot.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

243jimb
.204 Ruger Guns: A-Bolt

Post by 243jimb »

I had the same problem and thought that it was an effect of precession. Then I came across an article on the 6mm br website. It turned out that the crosshairs were not perfectly level even though they looked like they were and I had used a plumb bob when I mounted the 'scope. Anyway I levelled it using a small spirit level and it cured it instantly.This is assuming that you are not changing the magnification on the 'scope when shooting different distances. By the way don't bother with the Wheeler "Level-level-level" it's junk.
Hope that this helps, Jim.
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

Cracker I know you certainly don't need any shooting advice from me, but one thing that has helped my groups start to stay more consistent (L to R) was attaching an anti-cant device (level) to my scope. I always wanted to be more consistent keeping the action vertical, now I CAN, because I have the anti-CANT device! ;)

Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Cracker, BabaO is right, once you mount the anti-cant device on your scope, make sure you have the rifle perfectly level prior to tightening down the allen screws, and your errant shots at the 200 yard mark will most likely disappear.

I use the offset unit from Sinclair on most of my varmint rifles. (The one shown is an in-line unit.) It's very easy to see from the shooting position when mounted at the rear of the scope as shown on "Rosa" below, my Cooper Mdl 21 Varmint in .223 Rem. It's available in both 1" and 30mm" diameters.

Sometimes when behind the rifle holding the horizontal cross hair in what appears to be a level attitude, I'll glance up at the level and find that it's no where near level, then correct. You'll be surprised at what a difference it makes when the ranges get out there a tad. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

Cracker....Darrell Holland has written an article "Reticle Perpendicularity" that you may want to download and read. Its easy to confirm that your reticle is perpendicular to your riflesbore using his method. http://www.hollandguns.com
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

git: Darrell is the one who showed me the merits of these levels some years ago during a prairie dog shoot. When you do the math, the error possible at say, 400 yards is significant even with only half a degree of out of plumb.

I've been bugging him to come out with his own line of levels.....guess we'll see about that, as I don't know a man busier than Darrell.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

I sure have to agree with the guys on having the crosshairs actually vertical. I generally shoot off the hood of a vehicle using a bipod. I certainly do not have the ability to detect if the crosshairs are absolutely vertical. In fact, when I guess I am generally off a full bubble on the level.

Since installing the level on a 204, 223 and 243, I find that misses I had previously, do not happen now when shooting a chuck in the head at 200 yards and further. And, I have a box full of horror stories when I missed when everything seemed just right.
BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

I just found this page you guys might enjoy. I don't have time to play with all the flash demos right now, but some look fun, possibly educational. I found them looking for a flash animation showing the effect of the rifle being canted when firing.

http://www.arld1.com/

Edit: I was looking for something like this: http://www.arld1.com/impactpointvscantangle.html
BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

This is the page I was looking for when I found the links above.