Which scope for AR .204???

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
shotgunred50
.204 Ruger Guns: Model 1 sales AR-15 .204

Which scope for AR .204???

Post by shotgunred50 »

I have recently ordered a model 1 AR-15 in .204. I am probably not gonna get this rifle until christmas time no thanks to the gun feeding frenzy started by our current administration. Anyway I was just wondering if any of you guys have some scope suggestions. I have been looking at the nikon monarchs, and several others. I was also curious if anyone has experience with barska scopes. There are a few on cheaper than dirt but I dont want to buy a piece of junk, at the same time I really do not want to spend more than 600 or 700 dollars. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Which scope for AR .204???

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Buy the best you can afford, stay away from Barska for sure. The scope would depend on what you intend to do with the rifle....what will you use it for?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

shotgunred50

Post by shotgunred50 »

I plan on killing as many groundhogs as possible on my farm. My dad has a model 70 winchester in .22-250, but the AR will be my go to varmint rifle when it arrives(I can't wait). I may even buy a seperate upper assembely in the future for deer hunting and or plinking. Right now I am in need of a nice scope for the .204. What do you think about the nikon monarch? any other suggestions under 600-700 dollars?
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I like the Nikons. Also look around for a Leupold VXII 6-18x40. That should come in under $600.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
MT204
.204 Ruger Guns: custom ar15

Post by MT204 »

I myself am building an ar-15 204 ruger.
Have a AR-X Enterprises side bolt upper, a Tactical Innovations lower, geissele trigger and a magpul prs stock.
Now I'm just waiting for my Shilen barrel to get here (another month they say).
I just yesterday got a Burris Xtreme Tactical 6X-24X-50mm and a Burris AR-P.E.P.R. mount to install the scope.
shotgunred50

Post by shotgunred50 »

Let me know how you like the burris tactical scope. I am also looking for a good drop in trigger that is consistent, light and does not have a lot of take up. To me if a rifle has a bad trigger, the whole gun just sucks.
blkdog

Post by blkdog »

Take a look at the Nikon Buckmaster 6x18. It comes with side focus and very good optics for the money. I have several and I have been very happy with them. They are not equal to my Nightforce or Lupy but they are great when you need to scope several rifles with good glass.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

I have Bushnell 4200 Elites in 6-24x (2 ea), 3.5-10x; Nikon Monarchs 6.5-20x and 6-24x with side focus; Burris 3-9x's; Leupold 3-9x (several) and a Weaver Classic Extreme 3-10x, and some I forgot (like the two Unertl target scopes). My last scope purchase was a Leupold VXII 6-18x. I recommend this last scope as it is smaller and lighter than the rest, which makes it more handy for a light rifle. In my ground squirrel hunting area I find I seldom turn the power up beyond 14x, with most work being done at about 12x, under 200 yards. Most of my early squirrel hunting was done with a 3-9x Leupold and I wasn't handicapped. The optical quality of these brands are all about the same, with the Elite 4200's and Leupold's a bit better to my eye.

My suggestion is look at the Leupold VX11 series, the Bushnell 4200 series, and then the Nikon line. I use http://www.theopticzone.com for comparison shopping, but suggest you give Nosler's Pro Shop a call if you decide on a Leupold, as they had the best prices last June.
Charlie AR15
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Charlie AR15 »

I have an AR and LOVE my Vortex Viper 6.5x20x50 scope with the BDC reticle. I had a Leupold 6.5x20x50 on it; but love this Viper! Camera Land in N.Y. sells them and they are great people to deal with. Vortex has a $50. rebate going on now. Much less expensive and I think a better scope than the Leupold. Will be buying (at least)another one soon ! You really should check them out before buying any other . BTW, ARs absolutely RULE in PD towns !! Yours in 204 Ruger will make you smile a lot ! Mine is in 20 TAC (driver) which is a lot like the 204. PDs don't have time to hide after a miss before you get off a second adjusted shot. Can't do that with a bolt gun!
shotgunred50

Post by shotgunred50 »

Thanks for all of your help guys. I am going to go to bass pro shops just to give some of these scopes the actual eyeball test. After all everyone shoots a little bit different and people have their own preferences. I like something that is really clear with a good reticle that doesn't split off and make you think you're seeing double all of the time. Any more suggestions will be appreciated.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Unless you want to go into the higher dollar scopes ($600 ceiling), I'd take a serious look at the Vortex, the Sightron, and the Nikon... All have quality glass and I know Vortex and Sightron have excellent warranties that will apply to any subsequent owner, should you ever decide to sell it..

I have two Sightrons and a Burris Black Diamond (a little over your price point) for my longer distance shooting and have found no reason to go more expensive..My next one will probably be a Vortex...
AR
Factory/Factory