Optic Power Hogs

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
VarMitt
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100

Optic Power Hogs

Post by VarMitt »

Ok guys, what are your thoughts on the Burris 8-32x50 Black Diamond compared to the Bushnell Elite6500 4.5-30x50. I have no experience with either brand (other than low end Bushnell's a long time ago). I was researching for a replacement scope for the old 270 (the Burris BD 4-16x50) And doing the search; the other two caught my attention. I thought maybe I should replace my present optics on the 22-250(Leup 6.5-20x50 VIII) with something that has more magnification(old eyeballs!). Any one have experience with these two power animals?
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Optic Power Hogs

Post by acloco »

From what I saw, I do not believe the Bushnell is worth the cash they want.

I have a Burris Black Diamond. I like it, a lot! .....but, Burris scopes do not have a lot of adjustment in the scope until you get to the tactical models.

I would go with a Leupold, personally. Unless, you want to spend a bit more and get a Nightforce.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

VarMitt,
Have you ever tried using more than 20X in the field? Hard to focus, small field of view, and impossible with heat waves(mirage). I think you are well equipped with what you have.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

VarMitt: FWIW, I agree with both acloco and Hotshot, in that all my rat sniping rifles usually wear Lupy 6.5-20X's, and about the only time in the field I can really use 20X to any effective degree, is about the first hour of shooting in the early morning on distant targets......IF it's not too warm out that day. After that, the mirage comes up and makes anything more than say, 16X or 14X useless.

Any scope with more than 20X is really only suitable for punching paper....in the right conditions. For the extra money high powered scopes cost, the amount of actual time you can use that high power is severly limited by atmospheric conditions always found in the field. Just a thought, but it's your money. Both brands you're looking at are good though...... :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I have a Bushy 6500 and it's just as clear as my NightForce BR at 30X side by side in the field. The 6500's are one versatile scope with the 4.5-30 power range. If more power will help you, the 6500 is a good choice. Me, I love high power scopes. You can always turn the power down if issues surface while in the field... Never had a Burris but heard nothing but good things about them.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

I have a Mueller 8.5x25x50 on my 17HMR. For the money, it's awesome. It won't compare to an $800 scope though.
VarMitt
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100

Post by VarMitt »

Thanks guys for your help. When I ground squirreling in the foothills of the Sacramento Valley; it gets a bit warm outside, so I know of the effect of heat on the optic picture. And when I'm out and about shooting the little varmints; I'm using an adjustable gun rest, I made for my 46-cj2a huntin rig(pretty niffty, if I may say so !!!). The rest helps take the shakes out of those 200+ shots. So when I hunt in the early spring for the little fuzzys, the heat and gun steadiness is not much of a factor in my case. That's why I could probably consider a higher power optic. Thanks again
rfurman24
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12

Post by rfurman24 »

My Elite 6500 4.5-30 is much more clear than my buddies Burris 8-32 at any given power. I think it is an awesome scope if you need the range. However my 4200 seems a little more clear to me.
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

I have two Bushnell Elite 4200 6x24x40 mil-dot they are great. I am leaning toward a new monarch this year for a 204 to PD hunt with........
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC