New Scope

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Wiiings12
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Stainless

New Scope

Post by Wiiings12 »

I need to buy a new scope for my 204 Ruger. I have a VX-I from Leupold on it now and I am very very pleased with it. I have roughly 450 dollars to spend, I want something in 12-16x. Most importantly I want something of decent quality, I know 450 dollars isn't much... but that's all I got. I previously opened a post to try and help myself decide between Nikon, Bushnell, and Leupold, but now I realize thats not very smart and I should be open to everything worth looking through!
Thanks
-Graham
Assault is a behavior, not a device.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: New Scope

Post by Glen »

That should get you real close to a VXII 6-18x40 AO.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

http://www.swfa.com/pc-969-184-bushnell ... scope.aspx this is a good scope for the money.
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
Medic52

Post by Medic52 »

" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Those are three great scopes, but what type of reticle is more important to me. You can get a nice varmint reticle on that Leupold. The Bushnell has mil-dot, which I don't care for but you may, and it is better than some that are way too big and therefore cover more target than necessary. The Nikon has a good concept but they ruined it with the way-too-big circles.
If you are shooting at large or close targets the reticle doesn't matter as much as if you shoot at small far targets.
Wiiings12

Post by Wiiings12 »

The scope will mainly be for groundhogs. maybe some coyote, and I'd like to go on a PD hunt sometime too!

Funny how this came down to Leupold, NIkon, and Bushnell..
Medic52

Post by Medic52 »

The real question is which one do you like the best and how much do you want to spend. I don't think you will go wrong with any that you chose.

LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

Hi Wiiings12, my 5 cents worth is get one with a third turret, those with a twisty bit at the front are a pain to adjust easily. cheers kenB.
' Pay it forward buddy '
Me375
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 12 hbss 204 ruger

Post by Me375 »

wiiings 12 you might try an ospray 6x24 at about 220.00 they are a cross betwine a nightforse an a leupold you can contac them at Preestige law enforcement west .inc ask for Dave Arbetter at 1-360-574-6922 he will send you all the info you need very good guy to work with .it has a 30mm tube an is bright as eather of the two i told you about an at less than half the cost . they have a mill dot or a range finder ret. just thought i would pass this along . an tell dave that Lloyd sent you you might get a good deal lol . Lloyd
Wiiings12

Post by Wiiings12 »

Ok, I have managed to save up 613 bucks. And I still need a new scope for my 204! I think I am going to bump up to a VX-III 6.5-20 since they are on sale. I found one for 515 dollars, but I want to get everyone's opinion here first. What scope is going to be the best in the $500-575 ish range?
Thanks
-Graham

P.S. I dont think I will need or want any special reticle on my scope, I very very rarely ever spot a groundhog out past 200 or so, and even then I dont need to compensate too much
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Graham: I've got five or six of that scope, and depending on what you want, I'd recommend their long range version with their Varmint Hunter Reticle.

I dial for range almost always, and use their M1 elevation turret which must be factory installed, but having the VHR gives excellent results without any dialing, and is very accurate when used with the 204 Ruger. I think you've made a very wise choice, and will never regret it.

Oh, by the way, that scope has the excellent 30mm tube if you get the LR version, otherwise it will come with a 1" tube. I mention this for your ring choices. I also much prefer the 40mm objective, and by using that one, you can mount this scope in Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts with their Low rings, as the objective bell will easily clear the barrel, and give a nice low installation.

Right on buddy, you're going to be one happy shooter! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Wiiings12

Post by Wiiings12 »

Thats what I think I want but some recent thought has me reconsidering, is that a little too much scope for the 204? and I live in Ohio too, not too many long shots around here. What do you recommend? I was thinking maybe drop down to the 14x? or go with Nikon and get a 16x? or should I stay where I am at? whats your opinion?
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Check the Weavers 4.5-14 too.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

I have the 6.5 -20X50 VXIII I think its too much scope the 4.5-14X40 VXIII would be better. If your shots are not too long you might look at the 3.5-10 X40 vxiii.
Medic52

Post by Medic52 »

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1316-185-bushnel ... scope.aspx this would be a good all purpose scope for you to look at.......I have this on my 204 and it has been GREAT

LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC