Mounting an Elite 6500 to a Tikka

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Pydpiper
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka Varmint

Mounting an Elite 6500 to a Tikka

Post by Pydpiper »

I just brought home a spanking new Bushnell Elite, 6500 2.5-16X42 for my .204, it is beautiful!!
I need rings, I like the thoughts of the Sako Optilocks because of what I have read about them so now I need to know what size rings to get to get this scope as close to the barrel as I can.
I was hoping someone has tried this before and has a suggestion for me.
I will try any kind of rings as long as they are of good quality and can get this scope low to the barrel. It is a 30mm tube.
Thanks!
David
Tikka204

Re: Mounting an Elite 6500 to a Tikka

Post by Tikka204 »

Hi PydPiper,

You should be able to mount that scope on low rings and be about 3 - 5mm off the barrel.

I have a Tikka 204 also and have used low rings with a Meopta R1 4-16x44 and the scope misses the barrel by about 5mm at the most could be less as i havent really measured it.

Cheers,

Tikka204
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thank you.
I ended up using a set of Burris Steel mounts, low. I got the height I was hoping for, like you said, 3-5mm, I am very pleased.
TikkaT3

Post by TikkaT3 »

Pydpiper wrote:Thank you.
I ended up using a set of Burris Steel mounts, low. I got the height I was hoping for, like you said, 3-5mm, I am very pleased.

How are you finding the Elite 6500?

I recently bought a Tikka .270 and want to fit the 2.5-16x50mm its currently got a VX1 3-9x40 which i dont think is enough.

Cheers,

TikkaT3.
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

I have a 4200 mounted on mine and it has been great........but that new Nikon Monarch with the ED glass has got my attention I sure would love to look thru one...
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

TikkaT3 wrote:

How are you finding the Elite 6500?

I recently bought a Tikka .270 and want to fit the 2.5-16x50mm its currently got a VX1 3-9x40 which i dont think is enough.

Cheers,

TikkaT3.
Sorry, I missed this question..
I love it, it gets used almost daily and has been working like a dream. I can not say enough about the Rainguard, it saved me on more than one occasion this winter.
I dropped my rifle on the scope, our first thaw here I went out to call in some coyotes, laid my unloaded rifle against a tree and went out to set up my decoy. When I got back my rifle had fallen, then rolled down a rocky slope for about 5'. I obviously didn't try to hunt with it, I brought it home and took all the snow/gravel out of the action dried it and set it aside until I could bring it to the range to get a feel for the damage. The scope has one tiny nick, almost unnoticeable, but once benched it shot perfect, not even a hair off. That was worth a million bucks to me. The rifle came out fine too, hard to mark up a Stainless Tikka.
2 lessons came out of that day, first never lean a rifle against a tree in a snowstorm, and secondly that scope is capable of taking a tremendous beating without worrying about knocking it off zero.
In low light it is breath taking to look through, in low light with little wet snow drifts building up in the corners I still get a silly grin when I look through it.
Happy? Yes.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Pydpiper wrote:I just brought home a spanking new Bushnell Elite, 6500 2.5-16X42 for my .204, it is beautiful!!
I need rings, I like the thoughts of the Sako Optilocks because of what I have read about them so now I need to know what size rings to get to get this scope as close to the barrel as I can.
I was hoping someone has tried this before and has a suggestion for me.
I will try any kind of rings as long as they are of good quality and can get this scope low to the barrel. It is a 30mm tube.
Thanks!
David
My brother has one of those in 50MM and he really likes it. If I get back over there this year I'll take a peak...
TikkaT3

Post by TikkaT3 »

Pydpiper wrote:
TikkaT3 wrote:
Sorry, I missed this question..
I love it, it gets used almost daily and has been working like a dream. I can not say enough about the Rainguard, it saved me on more than one occasion this winter.
I dropped my rifle on the scope, our first thaw here I went out to call in some coyotes, laid my unloaded rifle against a tree and went out to set up my decoy. When I got back my rifle had fallen, then rolled down a rocky slope for about 5'. I obviously didn't try to hunt with it, I brought it home and took all the snow/gravel out of the action dried it and set it aside until I could bring it to the range to get a feel for the damage. The scope has one tiny nick, almost unnoticeable, but once benched it shot perfect, not even a hair off. That was worth a million bucks to me. The rifle came out fine too, hard to mark up a Stainless Tikka.
2 lessons came out of that day, first never lean a rifle against a tree in a snowstorm, and secondly that scope is capable of taking a tremendous beating without worrying about knocking it off zero.
In low light it is breath taking to look through, in low light with little wet snow drifts building up in the corners I still get a silly grin when I look through it.
Happy? Yes.
Thanks for replying to my question.

I think i am sold on the 6500.

Cheers,

TikkaT3.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

So many scopes, so few guns.
Here is my 6500.

Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I have two of the 4.5-30X50 Mil Dot 6500's.The only complaint I have is the scope caps. Well worth the $699 I paid for each!!
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

What is it about the caps that you don't like Joe?
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Pydpiper wrote:What is it about the caps that you don't like Joe?
They're the el-cheapo Bushnell style that are found on the $35 scopes. A nice scope should come with equal quality screw-on caps,or at least sell them separately.I ended up with Butler Creek on both ends of my Bushnell's. Leupold screw-on are probably the best on the market with their tight tolerance threads. The caps that came on my NF are just so so because of SUPER sloppy threads :eew: .
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

For all my scope caps I apply a very thin layer of Nyogel to the threads, it makes the run very smooth and keeps them water tight.
I originally bought the stuff to use on the threads of my high end flashlights and have had great success, I would recommend it for any aluminum to aluminum contact.

http://www.lighthound.com/NyoGel-760G-1 ... _1343.html