Shepherd Scopes

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
mbmm

Shepherd Scopes

Post by mbmm »

Anyone care to comment? I have done a little research and I am pretty sure I will mount one on my Rem 700 Bdl 30.06.......just curious...
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Re: Shepherd Scopes

Post by WrzWaldo »

I looked into them but decided they were not a good fit for me because I shoot multiple bullet weights from any given rifle. They are great if you want to shoot a specific bullet.

WW
Robert harrel
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 m ll,cooper mod21, rem 700,savage12 fvb,savage lrpv

Post by Robert harrel »

they are pretty nice. real good optics and such but dont swap around to different rifles and such
i have three of them and tend to dial the turret instead of useing the circles
now if i could get 3450 fps with a 75 grain amax the p1a / v1a would be within a one to two inch range thru all the circles :roll:
If not for my forgetful nature remembering things would be no problem at all.
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

Let me say this. Dan Shepherd is a nice guy. I own one of his scopes with a .22 RFM reticle in it.

Having said that, he had an idea several years ago that was interesting and thought provoking. His scopes have both front and rear focal plain reticles, which allows him to have too separate motions in his scopes.

Having said that, his other main idea which is Ballistic reticles violates modern scope design precepts, in that changing conditions such as altitude, Barometric pressure, temperature limit the accuracy of this type of reticle.

A better solution and the one which I employ on all my new scopes is same unit scale in reticle and knobs, either MOA or MIL, in combination with Front Focal plane reticle.

Putting finality to this discussion is that his scopes are just not that well made when compared to any of the main producers scopes. Sorry about that Dan, but it's the truth.

:)
bushymonster
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Contender 204 Fluted 24" Match Grade Beauty

Post by bushymonster »

I have 2 of them, the large and the small one I don't have one mounted because I have so many scopes. They are awesome. You can shoot any size bullet you just have to try and get a certain speed. I hade several more but sold a couple of them to a guy for $400.00.
Randy
mbmm

Post by mbmm »

I went with a Leo....3.5x10x40 with a BDC....thanks guys...........