PD scope

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Kiwishooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber Pro Varmint .204 & Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16 x 40

Re: PD scope

Post by Kiwishooter »

Critter,

Well, us down here in little old New Zealand are about to sign a free trade agreement with China (not my choice of course, but the choice of our left wing Labour Govt). So, I guess we can look forward to our market being flooded with cheap and rubbishy products.

I think we must be the worlds biggest dumping ground for second hand goods - we even accept second hand fridges and tyres from other countries.

We used to ahve a slogan here - buy Kiwi. Well, thats kind of a joke, since the Govt would sooner suck up to the Chinese than support our own people. Thats why so many of our business have gone off shore.

Anyway, thats my rant for the day.

Michael.
Robert harrel
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 m ll,cooper mod21, rem 700,savage12 fvb,savage lrpv

Post by Robert harrel »

71 kpb
save your receite
nikon wont honor their warranty without it
If not for my forgetful nature remembering things would be no problem at all.
VarMitt
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100

Post by VarMitt »

Happy new year to all. I'm looking for a new scope and was wondering if anyone would give me their experience using the Burris Black Diamond brand; I'm considering the 4-16x50 with ballistic plex rect. for a hunting rifle. In that price range, I have two Leupold VXIII's and have one Nikon Monarch for varmints & one Ziess Conquest for general hunting. I like the Leupold brand the best out of the three. I have found a very good price on the Burris and that's why I'm asking this question. Should stay with what I know or try the Burris?
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

buy the leupold
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

I am a sucker to try new scopes, today I own Mueller (2) someone said chinese junk well they are goodchinese junk thye have been good scopes so far., Swift Premier, Hawke, Nikon, Leupold (2 VX-II), Bushnell (4 - 2-3200 2-4200), Zeiss Conquest, Trijicon (2) each gun is setup for a particular purpose. I have found that there are many good scopes available to pick from. Today I am in the market for another and I am trying to decide between a Kahles and a IOR. I am leaning toward the Kahles 3x10x50 CL Helia for a 7MM Mag.........I would say that the best one that I have is the Trijicon, my favorite is my Rem 700 Sendero 22-250 w/ 4200 6x24x40 so when I finally got my first 204 I chose Rem 700 sps varmint and I ended up mounting another Bushnell elite 4200 6x24x40 and this is now my second favorite and will probably be my first. I am REALLY impressed with the 204 so far..........
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

Now what you definitely do not want is the USO varmint scope shown here:

This thing is a 6.5-30 x 58 with a 35mm tube and lit Mil-Dot reticle. Shown here shooting PDs on the Big Montana Reservation, a number of years back. John Williams III built this totally custom scope for me, at his fathers direction, and he did a brilliant job. The custom optics are the super high resolution. This scope with the large high res optics are presently not available from USO. Rifle is M70 Pre-64 in .260 Remington (formerly 6.5-.308 Wildcat)

But size does matter, and having the physically biggest scope on the field is definitely a cause for conversation. Being somewhat conservative in those days I elected not to get the available 40mm tube nor the 80mm objective.

8)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

40mm main tube and 80mm objective? Holy crap Dave! :eek: To balance that out asthetically with a rifle of proportionate size, you'd need to use a Barrett .50 BMG! Better hide that Cooper from that beast, or it'll be overwhelmed for sure.

I know now I AM a dinosaur, using a mere 30mm main tube and 40mm objectives for all my varmint scopes. But being old, I just don't want my scope to weigh more than my rifle! Call me old fashoned, but I like a scope to be an asthetic balance to a nice rifle, not appear to be an astromonical telescope mounted aboard. But again, that's just me.

Here's what I would refer to as about max "balance factor"....a Lupy 6.5-20X LR on a M21 Cooper Varmint......

This is Critter (Dave) having his way with Skippy using one of his excellent USO scopes on his M700. (I give him a hard time, but he's okay, just no sense of 'balance'. ;) )

Sorry for the thread deviation, just couldn't stay quiet...... And to VarMitt.....buy the Luepold and you'll never regret it.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Rick in Oregon wrote:
This is Critter (Dave) having his way with Skippy using one of his excellent USO scopes on his M700. (I give him a hard time, but he's okay, just no sense of 'balance'. ;) )

Sorry for the thread deviation, just couldn't stay quiet...... And to VarMitt.....buy the Luepold and you'll never regret it.
Believe this is why Harris Bipods has a "three legged" pod in the works. :)

They call it........

are you ready...........

The "Crittter Pod"!! I know....back to my corner.
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

Rick in Oregon wrote:

This is Critter (Dave) having his way with Skippy using one of his excellent USO scopes on his M700. (I give him a hard time, but he's okay, just no sense of 'balance'. ;)

Yes, I like to put really fine rifles on my Scopes.

:D

That picture brings back memories. Bug storms changing outside vehicle colors, resulting in $4.00 worth of quarters being seconded to the car wash machine. Holes magically appearing in aluminum shelter support legs, test targets at 50 yards or so where even the captain had to grudgingly admit that M700 .204 shown shot fairly well. We fired hundreds of rounds down range over two days and there was 10 times as many targets on the field when we left as there was when we got there. Almost sinful it was so much fun.

Stock by the way is one of kELLY'S M40A1-3 USMC prototypes that I bought second hand from Blackdog on S/H. A very excellent stock. Scope is SN-3 3.2-17 x 44/58 with 30mm tube and Horus 25 reticle. Odd objective number is the result of taking 58 mm objective glass and grinding the O.D. to fit modified 44mm objective module. They call the concept "SUPER HIGH RES" and for a time it was the rage. This is a much smaller scope than the one on the .260 that has the 35mm tube and 58mm objective.

Glass is the wonderful Leica 8x BRF. Similar quality of optics to USO Super High Res, so I like it a lot.