Reticle Pros and Cons

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Re: Reticle Pros and Cons

Post by Critter »

My personal favorite is the HORUS H-25 (Shown here: http://www.horusvision.com/img/h25.swf

It has both a MOA scale for measuring distances and a MIL matrix for offsetting windage and elevation.

The ballistics calculator accepts input of humidity, temperature, altitude or atmospheric pressure, target velocity, angle, target size and observed moa to suggest an aiming point on the matrix. This matrix also eliminates endless and time consuming knob twisting. You verify base conditions for 100 yard zero and you are good to go.

Calculator looks like this with selected version of ballistics software on read/only chip:

Given Gun and Weather data as shown on top of screen, the computer then indicates where on the matrix one should hold including changes for corillorus and spin.

Now the reticle appears really busy, but in a relatively short time it seems just about perfect, and you are not tied to a particular rifle or cartridge. I currently have three scopes with this system which includes portable weather sensor, and BRF as well as ACI (angle cosine indicator) for shooting on steep inclines.

TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

As I understand though the VHR varies as you change the power of the scope correct? I've done well with mine, but at 14x it's easy to keep maxed.

Intrigued with target turrets and may just have to try some time.
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

On Leupold LR scopes with the VHR or any other reticle, the reticle is in the second focal plane, meaning it does NOT grow in size when the variable magnification power is increased.

Only some limited Leupold's are built with reticles in the first focal plane. This is very popular in Europe, not here. Personally, when I crank up my scope's power, I want the reticle to stay the same size and not obliterate my small target at extended range. The VHR in a Leupold VX-3 is perfect for such work.

If you mean that the "values" of the VHR change with power increase, then you're correct. The unit is built to be used at one power setting, usually 14X, which also happens to be a very useful power for rats at distance. All in all, it's a very good reticle for varminting.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Rick in Oregon wrote:If you mean that the "values" of the VHR change with power increase, then you're correct. The unit is built to be used at one power setting, usually 14X, which also happens to be a very useful power for rats at distance. All in all, it's a very good reticle for varminting.
To all,

It may be possible to just drop a line to Leupold and inquire. Certainly, someone there has this info and you may be able to get it for all magnifications based on load data.

Just a thought...

Jim
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

I would have to concur with some of the things that Rick posted. While an excellent tactical reticule, the hunter's metooism that followed the USMC adoption of the Mil-Dot was a case of brain being overrun by the hype.

I can still see Prairie Rats sitting out at 700 yards with a 30 power variable with too coarse adjustment of 1/4 MOA per click and seeing the rounds land .2 mils to the left of the animals. Of course today, I would just take that point on the reticule and place on the animal without any calculations. At that range, by the way the 100 grain SVHP were landing with near vertical trajectories. Today, .1 mil scales and/or the Horus reticule would have mad short work of those PDs. Funny thing resolution on that big variable was sufficient to see fall of shot and dust devil stirred up at 700 yards by them.

Clearly reticules with better definition were required for this precision long range shooting. .1 Mil or .2 MOA seems adequate in current technology. I see where NF will apply some Horus reticules to their scopes in the very near future if they haven't done it already on their FFP scopes.

All my recent scopes have have MOA knobs and .2 MOA resolution scales in both Y (elevation) and X (windage) scales. Hopefully some of the other manufacturer's will see the light on this one. In my view having MIL reticules and MOA knobs unnecessarily complicates things.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Critter, most Leupold scopes intended for tactical use now are available with both elevation and windage scales in .1 MOA if desired.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails