Bino Rant

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Bino Rant

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hotshot: I agree on the weight issue with Leupold Gold Ring bino's, and sold my Gold Ring 8x42's recently. BUT then I tried their new Switch-Power 7-12X (32mm) and wha-la, perfect balance of weight vs. size vs performance. Much smaller, handier and lighter, phase coated, high definition lens with the added benefit of two magnifications, bright, crisp and sharp, and the eyecups retract for eyeglass wearers. They compare very favorably with the more spendy Euro stuff (I checked), so I'm sold, and have finally found my "Holy Grail" of a personal binocular, are made in the USA, and have Lupy's lifetime warranty. You can pay more, but won't get much more. What's not to like?

Here's both models on my bench for a size comparison.

Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Some years ago, when a chain sports store went out of business here, I bought a pair of B&L Legacy 10x50s. Got a heckuva price on them, and they've held up extremely well. I THINK Bushnell is still selling them, under the Legacy line, but I'm not sure about that. They are pretty heavy and bulky, but dang they are bright, clear, and haven't given me the slightest bit of trouble. I use them PDoggin' a lot, and they've kept me out of trouble when deer hunting in Missouri, too, since MO implemented a 4 point rule on buck deer (gotta have at least 4 points on one side).

Bak4 lenses are danged nice, they transmit color quite well, and they are a lot nicer than my buddy's Wind River Leupold 10x40IFs. They make good glasses for birding, too. :eew:
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Post by Ahab »

Captqc wrote:Acloco, I received an e-mail about a deal on Pentax. Have you had experience with them? They are only $189 so they are in my price range (I'd like to stay under $250). Gary
Pentax has some of the finest bino's in the mid range out there. Equal to some of the higher priced. Yes I wear eyeglasses. ;)
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Okay guys,
I got home from four days of blasting skippy and what do I find...yup a package from Nikon. Instead of fixing my binoculars they sent me a new pair. This time they are Monarch ATB 8x36 instead of sporters. They look okay now so I'll give them a go but if they crap out that will be that for Nikons! Thanks for all the input I'll keep it on file for future reference.
Gary