Trying to decide......

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Keith in Ga

Trying to decide......

Post by Keith in Ga »

on what scope I want/need on my new Cooper VT. Currently, I have a Leupold Vari-X III, 4.5-14x40, adj obj, tactical, duplex reticle, on it (took off a Remington .308 LTR). I really like the varmint reticle, and have a 6.5-20 Leupold varmint reticle on a .204. I can get the reticle changed on the scope for $110, and it will be calibrated to work at 14X. My 6.5-20 varmint reticle works at 16X. Trying to decide whether to sell the 4.5-14 and then buy a 6.5-20.........or just change the reticle, and live with the 14 power. The duplex reticle is just too thick for me and not what I want to shoot pd's.
Comments appreciated.........
ImageImage
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Re: Trying to decide......

Post by Mike »

I have always had the mindset that more is good and too much is just enough. Will you ever use the scope on 4.5x? If not, this would be a very easy decision for me to make.

It's worth noting that I have the 8.5-25x version of that Leupold scope on my .204 Cooper. I can't really use 25x out in the field for long shots, but I like cranking up the power when I'm doing bench work at the range and I have no need for less than 8.5x with that rifle. YMMV.