Oh Come On!

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Oh Come On!

Post by jrwoitalla »

You gotta be kiddin me! An $1140 scope selling for $179. Natchez has Millet Buck Gold side focus 6-25x56 scopes on sale that they say they regularly sell for $1141.79. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. Those things couldn't have ever fetched that kind of scratch, could they? I'm sure they are decent pieces of glass and all, but-COME ON! Ok, you got me sniffin around em. :chin:
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Oh Come On!

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Whoa! You're right....that price is in the Nightforce, Leupold LR, Schmidt & Bender, Swaro price range. I'm betting dollars to dough-nuts that a Millet scope NEVER sold for that kind of cash, just ain't no way......it's just not that quality of glass, period.

Maybe they sell for that much on planet Zorcon..... :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

WAAAAAY outa line on the price. I've got one and I sure didn't pay that much. Not a bad scope for a realistic price. Not sure I'd buy anything from Nachez if they claim they sell them for over $1000. Heck, even Millett's web site doesn't list them anywhere near that price.

And the $179 price...dollars to doughnuts it's a knock off. Millett cancelled their contract with one of their manufacturers but the mfg continued to make them and sell them. So, there are quite a few non-warranty "Milletts" floating around.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
jrwoitalla

Post by jrwoitalla »

[quote="Hedge"]WAAAAAY outa line on the price. I've got one and I sure didn't pay that much.

So did you pay even less? What did you pay, and what is your take on the scope as far as quality of glass, ruggedness, holding a zero?
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

When I got mine, $340 was the best price I found. I see they're still running from around $330-380 give or take. (except for Nachez...still wonder about that.)

Thing's built like a tank and heavy. Tracks accurately (I tracked it againt a 72" ruler at 100 yds.) and holds zero. Glass is good and if it had an illuminated reticle, it would really work for me as a late dusk coyote scope. Doesn't have as positive click as I'd like on windage and elevation knobs. A slight hysteresis in the feel but that's only on the knob. The reticle locks in. Good eye relief. Zero knob setting is easy using an allan wrench and it has turret locks. Doesn't have any detectable hysteresis in the parallax control which is firm but smooth. Parallax adjustment at high power requires some finesse.

In all, a decent scope for the price but more power than I need for my .204. Easy to see the tiny holes on paper but the only thing I ended up using the high mag for was spotting and distant target ID. At high power, the mirage effect is more than I want to deal with.

UPDATE 11/6/11: Millett shifted zero on me after about 400 rnds. Now I'm bummed out. Back to the factory.

Decided to upgrade and bought a Viper PST FFP 4-16x50 Milrad/Mirad. Much better scope. More $ but definitely worth it for me.
Last edited by Hedge on Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

You've got to watch Natchez and their shady pricing/sales. Look at their ChargeMaster 1500, they have it stated as a $470 "regular" price and $300 as their "Sale" price. You can buy it at Midway or Midsouth everyday for less than their "sale" price.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Hey, I bought one just for a lark ( a source of or quest for amusement or adventure, not the bird). Bought an illuminated 3-10x Weaver Extreme something or other a couple of years ago for $189 and a Bushnell Elite 4200 for some ridiculous price I can't recall. Natchez must buy salvage lots from bankrupt dealers or wholesale houses, who knows. I even registered the warranty on the Millett website (Millett - Bushnell really since Bushnell bought them out). Okay so it's made in China. I bet that Bushnell will switch the line to Japan manufacture or some obscure waddle and daub hut in a jungle somewhere.

The Millett Buck Gold 6-25 SF is a beast, this thing could be used to ground tether airships or alternatively hammer nails. Wife said if it didn't work, I could still club rats with it, or use it as a 8-iron - thwack! FORE!

The only rifle I have with 30mm rings is a Cooper 6.5-284 Phoenix, so I mounted the beast for a test. I used Burris medium height rings on the Phoenix, so there wasn't enough clearance between the objective bell and the barrel to use the lens cover. That rifle is about as hard recoiling as I can tolerate since they gave me a Frankenstein neck with a zipper scar. The dirigible anchor/scope worked about as expected, took a few twists to get the focus cleared up for my glasses, but once dialed in the picture was clear, not as clear as an Elite 4200 or a Leupold, or Burris, or Weaver, or Nikon, or Unertl but good enough. All adjustments worked normally. Proceeded to shoot a .5" group once sighted in. For a $180 supper closeout deal it's an okay scope that ought to last at least as long as mine did - 50 rounds and still going. It'll probably wind up in the safe sitting next to the free $39 Bushnell 4X they included with the Elite 4200 as a premium (it ain't much of a scope but looks cool with that plastic bubble pack hanging from a pegboard hook) I really wanted another Bushnell range bag instead. So if you can still get one of the Millett's, do it. May not be the best scope you'll ever buy, but the objective bell is just the right diameter for stamping out breakfast biscuits in camp.

P.S. I think that $1140 price was for a case lot.
jrwoitalla

Post by jrwoitalla »

Mount that puppy on a Desert Eagle 50cal and you'll have a nice twenty pound pig pistola. :eew: