Scope Ring Help Needed

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Windygap
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Scope Ring Help Needed

Post by Windygap »

I searched the forum, and I couldn't find the answer so I figured I'd throw it out; How do I determine what height rings/base I need to get the scope as close to the barrel as I can? Is there a way of calculating it? Will ring manufacturers have that info? Or better yet, anyone know a good solid set up for a Savage Model 12 VLP with a Bushnell 4200 6x24x50mm with a 30mm tube? Any help would be appreciated.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Scope Ring Help Needed

Post by Hotshot »

Just mounted a scope with 50mm objective day before yesterday on B&W's Savage 12. Med rings wouldn't work we had to use high.
The only reason I could see to "hug" the barrel would be if the comb of the butt stock was so low you couldn't line up your eye to the scope. Most target shape stocks are plenty high, especially with the mild recoil of the 204 you wouldn't need to cheek it hard.
Windygap
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by Windygap »

Thanks for the reply. Now I have another question. Do the heights for the different categories of low, med, or high vary by manufacturer? Or is there an industry standard where say a medium ring from different manufacturers will be the same? This is the first varmint rig I'm assembling.
6.5swede
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700

Post by 6.5swede »

Below are a couple links to charts from the MidwayUSA site that may help out.

http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/stat ... height.htm

http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/stat ... risons.htm
Larry

Real rifles have wood stocks!!

Savage 93 .17HMR, 3-9 BDC
Remington 700 SPS .204 Ruger, 6-24 Mildot
Remington 788 22-250 Leopold FX12

Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

Scope ring selection is a bigger problem than it might appear at first blush.

Most (all?) scope problems can be traced to scope rings and or base selection/installation. This can result from tolerance stacking or just plain sloppy workmanship. Luckily, in most cases it is the former. For reference, I have found that Leupold for example keeps tolerances tight, as does REMINGTON. Some ring manufasctures allow for some windage adjustment in rings (see US Optics tactical rings for an example of this.) This adjustment in the rings minimizes use of valuable erector travel range in mounting process, for windage misalignment.

Often drilling/tapping of holes for bases can be misaligned from bore. So with this many ways for things to go wrong, I suggest seeking help from a qualified gunsmith.

If you intend to take your weapon into harm’s way, be sure to purchase equipment from recognized source. There are some sources out there that provide solutions under say $100 that may not be optimal. (Word to the wise, etc.)

You may not need full blown tactical rings or base, but something to compare offerings with. Note the heavy duty screws and rings are made of aircraft quality 6061T6 aluminum (lighter) or Steel (for greater strength). I request size 8 rather than size six screws for mounting base. The base below was custom designed for my 6.5-.308 which was built on a M70 long action. Rather than drill an additional hole in action, it was deemed easier to make custom base from stock extrusions.

I did the same thing when it came time to put a scope on my M57 Cooper. Picatinny rails allow rapid changing of other scopes with compaitble rings.