Pdog/Varmint Scope

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
TD-Max

Re: Pdog/Varmint Scope

Post by TD-Max »

I have a VXIII 4.5-14 w/varmint reticle on my Sako. Nice scope

Nikon Monarch 4-16 on my Rem LVSF 204 Also nice scope for less $ than the Leupy

Swaro Z5 3-18 w/BRX reticle on my Sako 260 VERY nice glass

I'm on the fence as to what to put on my Sako 22-250. I'm thinking that I'll move the Nikon over temporarily and take all 3 on my Memorial Weekend PD shoot. Then I'll decide which one I like best and make a decision. If the Swaro does as well as I hope I'll probably buy another.
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

I've moved scopes around too but I believe I finally have them where I want them;

CZ-527 American, 204-Ruger: Nikon Monarch 6-24x50. FCD
- Remington 700 VLTHSS, 204-Ruger: Swarovski 6-18x50 BR reticle
- Remington 700 VLTHSS, 204-Ruger: Swarovski 6-18x50 BR reticle
- Remington 700 Varmint Special, 6mm Remington; Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 Z-PLEX. Ultimately I may end up with a Leupold VX-3 gloss 6.5-20x40 (VH reticle) for this gal to give it that classic look (bright blue, glossy wood) but for now the Conquest will sit up top.

and if I want to reach out there just a tad further;
- Remington 40x, 308: Leupold VX-3 8.5-25x50 Fine Duplex
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Optics seem to be the 2nd biggest topic on any forum, regardless if it is hunting, varminting, tactical, etc.

If you monitor multiple online classifieds, you just might luck on to a great scope at very favorable funds. Recently purchased a Leupold Mark 4, M1, 16x40 with mil dots for $800 shipped/insured AND it had a set of those $100+ Leupold rings with it. This is a $1599 scope. Yes, this will be going on a prairie dog rifle. 148 moa verticle adjustment should allow a 22 rimfire to go to 1000 yards! (just kidding).

Rules to live by:

1 - Price does not always guarantee the best. There are very under rated gems for fair money.
2 - Monitor what the long range/tactical people are using. NOTE - they change scopes like some people change stocks - be aware. Flavor of this week is probably not the flavor of last week. For some reason, they tend to have more free money to buy and sell scopes than anybody else.
3 - Monitor the benchrest group. You probably could never use a 24 or 36 power scope when hunting/varminting/prairie doggin, BUT, the manufacturers of these scopes MIGHT have some that you can use.
4 - If the lenses are not "fully multi coated" and state that, move on.
5 - Prefer an etched reticle, but good luck finding one in a scope that you can use.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Critter wrote:I really like what this guy (Chuck Hawks) has to say in one of his articles:
Premium price class (MSRP over $1000)

Burris Diamond
Kahles Helia
Leupold VX-7
Schmidt & Bender
Swarovski PH, PF, PV
Zeiss Victory
I'm really surprised that NF didn't make the list. Did Chuck mention why?
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

acloco wrote:If you monitor multiple online classifieds, you just might luck on to a great scope at very favorable funds.
Excellent advice. I've found that the trick is to keep looking on a regular basis because the deal of a lifetime almost never pops up at the same time you need to add a new scope.
acloco

Post by acloco »

Mike wrote:
Critter wrote:I really like what this guy (Chuck Hawks) has to say in one of his articles:
Premium price class (MSRP over $1000)

Burris Diamond
Kahles Helia
Leupold VX-7
Schmidt & Bender
Swarovski PH, PF, PV
Zeiss Victory
I'm really surprised that NF didn't make the list. Did Chuck mention why?
Burris Black Diamond won't make my list. Reticle is too thick and has very little vertical travel in the adjustment. Glass is ok, not great, but ok.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Acloco, My 8-32x Black Diamond has a fine cross hair and 1/8 dot....I don't know how it would cover any target...The glass is really clear and I'm dying to get it to a PD town... Hopefully mirage won't be a dampening factor...I got it used for a little over $600 and consider it a good buy..

I mounted it with Burris Signature rings with the +/- 10 inserts and it has more elevation than I will likely ever need...
AR
Factory/Factory
acloco

Post by acloco »

Ah....then you will be just fine then.

Need pics for proof though! LOL! :)
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

Lately, I have had to revise my opinion of Leupold. I really like some of the changes they are making to their top of the line scopes. 30mm tubes, a few FFP configurations, custom reticles and knobs are showing that they are listening, although I wonder how much of it is being driven by military specifications.

Not there yet however. Give you an idea of what I mean:

My current project gun is a 7mm WSM that fires a 180 Grain Berger VLD with a BC over .600 at over 2900 fps.

Scope is a USO SN3 3.8-22x58 with a 35mm tube and a lit MOA scale reticule. Elevation is a 90 click Extended Range Knob (EREK).

Now that I have chronographed that load at specified environmental conditions, I am going to use my software to design a custom knob that I will get USO to engrave the come up chart on. While philosophically I don’t generally agree with this, it will provide rough guidelines out to say 800 yards or better. I will of course change the environmental variables to say 1000 feet and 45*F for more average conditions in my local area.