Bore sighter suggestions

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
jwisecarver
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Center Encore

Bore sighter suggestions

Post by jwisecarver »

I just got my Encore barrel and would like to by a bore sighter. I have a BSA but no 20 caliber spindle. Would like to here what works without waisting to much ammo.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Bore sighter suggestions

Post by acloco »

The Leupold is the best that I have used. You WILL be on paper. Funny thing is, mine puts you 2" left and 2" low. Gent on another internet forum puts his 2" high and 2" right.
jwisecarver

Post by jwisecarver »

Well I bought a Leupold and it came in today. Reading the directions and will see how I do and how it does in the next couple of days. The temperature here has been in the upper 90's so it may be a little while before I get to the range.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I really like my Leupold bore sighter. Can't explain how it works. I think there is some magic involved.

I have one rifle that comes out about 7-8 inches high, changed scopes and had the same results twice. All others are much closer to zero.

Remember, a bore sighter puts the line of sight and the line of bore at the same place. What the bullet does at 4000 fps and 300,000 rpm's cannot be compensated for. Barrel vibration and other factors can make the bullet hit somewhere else. Accuracy is repeating the same hit over and over again. My point is the bore sighter is not perfect, it only should get you on the paper.
jwisecarver

Post by jwisecarver »

Well I picked up a Leupold boresighter and got my 204 boresighted, no I have to get to the range to see if I did it right. I have used an arbor style boresighter for several years but as yet been able to get a 20 cal arbor so got the Leupold. We will see what happens next week.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Let us know where your first two shots are. :)
Paul
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore w/ MGM barrel

Post by Paul »

On my encores, I just break open and look down barrel at target (25 or 50 yds) and compare to where scope is dialed in. I've never purchased a bore sighter to get on paper.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Paul wrote:On my encores, I just break open and look down barrel at target (25 or 50 yds) and compare to where scope is dialed in. I've never purchased a bore sighter to get on paper.
I do the same thing with all of my rifles. Pull out the bolt. Look through the barrel at the target 50 yds away, dial in the scope and usually bang on within a couple of inches.
Savage Vaporizer
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Same here, no need to buy anything. In all my bolt or falling block rifles, place rifle in gun vice, either remove the bolt, drop the block, look through the bore at a 3/4" square piece of black electrical tape on my white fence post at 25 yards away from the dining room table. Adjust scope to agree with the bore, shoot at 50 yds, and I'm always within 1" of dead-nuts at 100 yard on paper.

Simple, effective, nothing to buy or wear out ('cept to replace the tape about every ten years on the fence post......)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails